Source language: Translate to:

Report Designer WYSIWYG problems

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Report Designer WYSIWYG problems

Postby smartmedia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 am

Hi...

I have create several reports with Report Designer but in all of them i have the following problems.

1) In design mode there is not any zoom option so you can see exactly where you put the text fields.

2) If in a text field are 5 lines with 1 var in every line and 1 of those var is empty then the line disappear, this has the effect all the line to go up.

3) The printing results in photos are not so good, even when i try to resize the picture field close to actual size.

4) The actual position and size of text fields are different in preview and when you print it. In all cases i have used standard windows fonts like "Times new Roman" & "Arial".
smartmedia

Re: Report Designer WYSIWYG problems

Postby dpayer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:39 am

smartmedia wrote:Hi...

I have create several reports with Report Designer but in all of them i have the following problems.

2) If in a text field are 5 lines with 1 var in every line and 1 of those var is empty then the line disappear, this has the effect all the line to go up.

It may be you need to check for this situation before running the report and insert a zero or a space into that variable if they are empty.

D
dpayer

Postby Wrangler » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:47 am

4) The actual position and size of text fields are different in preview and when you print it.

I noticed this as well. It's not far off, but enough to notice.

If in a text field are 5 lines with 1 var in every line and 1 of those var is empty then the line disappear, this has the effect all the line to go up.

I can't think of a situation when I would want a blank line where there is no data. I think David has the answer. Insert [#32] into the variable before it is displayed. You might also try ALT 255, which is the NULL character.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

1) In design mode there is not any zoom option so you can see exactly where you put the text fields.

I'm sorry, it's not possible to add zoom to the design mode at this stage. If needed, you can fine tune the position of objects using the Edit menu's "Object Position" command.

This is very useful when you are working with addresses on an invoice or mailing label. For example, if the company name field is blank, it's appropriate not to print an empty line. If you don't want that to happen you can create separate Text/Field objects for each line or you can use a trick like this:

Code: Select all
[Contacts.FirstName] [Contacts.LastName]
[Contacts.Company][#32]
[Contacts.Street]
[Contacts.City] [Contacts.State] [Contacts.Zip]

The [#32] will print a space after the company field and prevent that line from being skipped. (Note: The [#32] shows up as a "?" in the preview but will print correctly from NeoBook.)

3) The printing results in photos are not so good, even when i try to resize the picture field close to actual size.

I haven't noticed this here, but I'll see if there is anything I can do to improve the printing of photos. Of course the results will depend on the quality and resolution of the original image.

4) The actual position and size of text fields are different in preview and when you print it. In all cases i have used standard windows fonts like "Times new Roman" & "Arial".

The preview should be close, but it will never be exact because of the huge difference between the screen and printer resolutions. In addition, fonts have slightly different characteristics when printed than they do on-screen. Also, make sure you have selected the correct printer in the Designer's Report Properties screen.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:35 am

Hi...

The preview should be close, but it will never be exact because of the huge difference between the screen and printer resolutions. In addition, fonts have slightly different characteristics when printed than they do on-screen. Also, make sure you have selected the correct printer in the Designer's Report Properties screen.

Dave, we talking about big difference not just something i can override.
I will try to make an example so you can understand better.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

I will try to make an example so you can understand better.

Thank you. An example would be very helpful.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:26 am

I have not been able to reproduce this problem here. Can you supply an example for this too?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBookDBPro