Source language: Translate to:

NeoBookDBPro 1.1/Report Designer Beta Released

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBookDBPro 1.1/Report Designer Beta Released

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:21 am

The long awaited beta test of NeoBookDBPro 1.1 with Report Designer is now available for download. The beta test is open to all registered NeoBook customers. For more information and to download a copy of the beta, visit the web site below:

http://www.neosoftware.com/dbpro.html#beta

The beta includes the following new features:

Enhancements

-Added an advanced report module which includes a stand-alone Report Designer utility along with dbpPreviewReport, dbpPrintReport, dbpTranslatePreviewHints actions for printing reports from NeoBookDBPro. Details can be found in NeoBookDBPro, and Report Designer help files. The sample AddressBook publication includes two sample reports.

-Added an action called dbpCompactAccessDatabase for compressing Microsoft Access (MDB) format database files.

-Added an additional parameter to the dbpDefineRelationship action to create a customized list of fields to appear in the linked detail table. Leaving this parameter blank will produce the same results as previous versions.

-Added an option called "UseColumnTitles" to the dbpExportToCSV action’s Properties parameter. Combining this option with IncludeFieldNames will export the column titles defined with dbpSetColumnTitles instead of table’s default field names.

-And several other minor enhancements.

Fixes

-The dbpSaveEdits action now correctly updates the [Table.$RecCount] variable.

-Corrected some minor problems with the dbpDefineRelationship action.

-And several other minor fixes.

Although this is a beta version, registered users may use it with their finished compiled publications if they wish.

You may use this forum to post questions, suggestions, bug reports, etc. or send email to info@neosoftware.com
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby beno » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 am

Bravo Dave!

It seems Santa woke up early this year!!

Thanks a lot!!

Happy hollidays to you and your family!!!

Best wishes from Mexico,

beno
beno

Postby smartmedia » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:39 am

Hi...

Thanks Dave,

You made us the best present for NB Christmas.
From the little time i play with it i have notice the following.

1. Can the report tool run by end user...??? if yes, he can create - edit - save a report on run time...???
When you compile an application the Report designer is inside exe...??? Can be deploy with it.

2. Object list is missing. (Example, i have create an object and i have move it to a non visible position,
select one other object make imposible to select the first one.)
Can the object position be visible as tool palete as is in NB...???

3. When i run the report tool outside NB, selecting "Report Properties" --> "Import Database id" and select
a database, if the database has a password it show up. Major security issue.

4. Add an option to "Picture Properties" for showing the picture in actual Size.
5. Be able to change the printer and margins of the report on run time.
6. The report tool is running in vista...???
7. Can the rectangle fill color be transparent...??? When create a rectangle and selcet fill color in preview window show None.
8. Full allign in text will be a nice future.
9. when i insert a special variable (example [Page#]) in design preview i see ? and in run time i don't see anything.

Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:41 am

Thank you for the feedback.

1. Can the report tool run by end user...??? if yes, he can create - edit - save a report on run time...???

Yes, you can distribute the ReportDesigner.exe with your publication if you like.

When you compile an application the Report designer is inside exe...??? Can be deploy with it.

No, the Report Designer is not compiled inside the pub exe. It's a separate executable.

2. Object list is missing. (Example, i have create an object and i have move it to a non visible position, select one other object make imposible to select the first one.) Can the object position be visible as tool palete as is in NB...???

I hadn't planned on including an object list. Since the objects used by the Report Designer do not have names, I'm not sure how useful it would be.

3. When i run the report tool outside NB, selecting "Report Properties" --> "Import Database id" and select a database, if the database has a password it show up. Major security issue.

The database ID/connection string information is drawn from your personal NeoBookDBPro configuration not the pub file. On another PC, this information would not be available, so it should not be a security issue.

4. Add an option to "Picture Properties" for showing the picture in actual Size.

I'll look into it, but the actual size will change depending on the resolution of the printer. I'm not sure what would happen if you designed the report for one printer then printed using a different printer.

5. Be able to change the printer and margins of the report on run time.

I'm not sure that would work.

6. The report tool is running in vista...???

Yes.

7. Can the rectangle fill color be transparent...??? When create a rectangle and selcet fill color in preview window show None.

I'll look into it.

8. Full allign in text will be a nice future.

Maybe that can be added in a future version.

9. when i insert a special variable (example [Page#]) in design preview i see ? and in run time i don't see anything.

It should show the page number in both preview and run time. I'll look into it.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby christian » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:13 am

:) Thank you Dave for this Xmas-gift, great tool, and now I know, what to do all those long days until 2007/12/31! :)
Christian
christian

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:46 pm

This feature was inadvertently set to be case sensitive. You can work around the problem by entering the codes in all caps. For example:

[PAGE#]

This will be corrected in the final release.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:21 am

Trying to create an invoice report for testing purposes. Layout as below:

There are two tables involved here. At the top is the customer info, from the invoices table. Below, in gray boxes, in the Data body are the items purchased, from the products table. There is more than one product to this invoice, and the data body displays all the products for that invoice fine. But look at the shot below. It doesn't appear to display where the data body is located in the designer. It seems to start at the top of the page, covering the customer info. Is it supposed to, or am I doing something wrong?

Have to use screenshots here, cause there is no code. :)
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby smartmedia » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:56 am

Hi...

Thanks Dave for the quick respond, i have also notice the following.

1) When i insert spaces in a text field are not show up. For example entering " [Ergazomenoi.Name]"
and close the text field properties the spaces are gone. The only way to show spaces is to enter a
character between them. ". [Ergazomenoi.Name]"

2) Can you provide us a sample report showing how the SubReport is working...??? I am little comfuse
about it.

3) In Option-->Set Preferences-->Ruler i change it to Pixel. If i close the Report tool and open it
again, the Ruler is in Inches.

4) Can the color in every Partition change...??? Some time i use the same color in lines and is visual
the same.

5) Very important future is to be able to add the variables you have from NB.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Wrangler:

You can't mix free form and band type elements in a report. Try placing your "bill to" and "ship to" items on a Data Header partition instead of the page background.

Smartmedia:

1) When i insert spaces in a text field are not show up...

OK, I will look into it.

2) Can you provide us a sample report showing how the SubReport is working...??? I am little comfuse about it.

Subreports can be confusing. I will prepare an example later this week.

3) In Option-->Set Preferences-->Ruler i change it to Pixel. If i close the Report tool and open it again, the Ruler is in Inches.

OK.

4) Can the color in every Partition change...??? Some time i use the same color in lines and is visual the same.

That's an interesting idea. I will see what I can do.

You can use NeoBook variables, but you must type them in manually. Since the Report Designer is not part of NeoBook, it cannot display a list of variables and cannot display them in preview. Variables will show up when reports are printed from a NeoBook publication.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gigi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Examples using more complete most of the commands and action, as images, report designer, database for commercial use.
Thanks
Gigi

Postby Gigi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:30 pm

Sorry :oops:
Gigi

Postby dpayer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:

You can use NeoBook variables, but you must type them in manually. Since the Report Designer is not part of NeoBook, it cannot display a list of variables and cannot display them in preview. Variables will show up when reports are printed from a NeoBook publication.

Wouldn't it be possible to write your variables into a table before generating the report then use the report tool to write them into the report?

D
dpayer

Postby smartmedia » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi...

Dave,
Thanks the live vars is working and i can see them in preview.

dpayer
Wouldn't it be possible to write your variables into a table before generating the report then use the report tool to write them into the report?

You can do that if you want, actually i will use this method in an application which creates offers, in order to present the image logo of a company.
smartmedia

Return to NeoBookDBPro