Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Sqlite ODBc driver

Postby cp4w » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:19 pm

The readme file of the odbc driver for sqlite says

"The driver is usable but may contain lots of memory
leaks and all other kinds of bugs. Use it on your own
risk."

Does anybody have any experience or comment in regard to the stability of it.
cp4w

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 pm

You're right. In the first paragraph they basically say: "it's open source, it's free, it may not work, use it at your own risk." It may be that the driver works adequately, but that's definitely not a good sign. Of course, since it's "open source" you can fix it yourself - right?

Maybe you can use another database like Access or MySQL instead?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby cp4w » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for your input Dave,

I wanted something that would more fully support SQL and I think that Access has its limitations.

Is MySql something that would be run locally on a stand alone station or is it more for a server in a client server environment?
cp4w

Postby beno » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi,

Is MySql something that would be run locally on a stand alone station or is it more for a server in a client server environment?

I´m new to this but you have to install MySQL in your machine and it allows you to treat is as local.

A plus is that once you want to make this available to your LAN there is nothing else to do, well.. nearly nothing.

My cent,

beno
beno

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi shx,

SQLite is a file database. It is a perfect replacement for M$-Access. Works on a Local or Lan Machine. Not works on a Client - Server Internet based Applications

MySQL is a Relational Database. It is a perfect replacement for M$-SQLServer. It Works on a Local or Lan or Internet Server. Remember you must install MySQL ODBC driver in each Client Machine and the Database on a server (local, lan or remote) and run (in background) MySQL Server Services.

You have another way in order to use SQLite or MySQL databases:
a) Use HPWSQLite plugin or NeoSQLite3 plugin that uses the SQLite.DLL database motor.
b) Use NeoMySQL plugin that uses LibMySQL.DLL database motor.

In this cases, you don't need install any on a client machine, you must copy the DLL in the same folder of your app only.

My devaluated cent,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 am

I have MySQL installed on a stand-alone XP system and it works quite well.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby cp4w » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks
cp4w

Postby rishi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi Neobookers:

I want to know if somebody had some inconvenience or error utilizing the driver ODBC SQlite.

From now on, thank you very much.

Gustavo
rishi

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 am

I'm not aware of any problems using SQLite with DBPro, provided SQLlite is installed properly and you are using a valid connection string.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

SQLite examples?

Postby Boo (Gulf Breeze) » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello,

Would anyone out there possibly have some examples for connecting to an SQLite database utilizing NeobookDBPro? I installed the SQLite ODBC Driver and have been playing around using the connection string example in the help file, but so far I am unable to get it to work...

Thanks,

- Boo
Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Postby asawyer13 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Does NeoSQLite3 actually need to run the server program also, if I want to just use it locally?
asawyer13

Postby asawyer13 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I have not tried it, but it's showing the connection string to be:

DRIVER=SQLite3 ODBC Driver;Database=mydb.db;LongNames=0;Timeout=1000;NoTXN=0;SyncPragma=NORMAL;StepAPI=0;

You could try it.
asawyer13

Postby Boo (Gulf Breeze) » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:03 pm

I still have not been able to make it work... Not sure why.
Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Postby Rasl » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:55 am

I use the following to connect a sqlite database and never had problems with ODBC, I have programs operating with tables with more than 100000 records

dbpOpenDatabase "db" "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Extended Properties=[#34]DSN=SQLite3 Datasource;Database=[PubDir]mydb.db3;StepAPI=0;SyncPragma=NORMAL;NoTXN=0;Timeout=100000;ShortNames=0;LongNames=0;NoCreat=0;NoWCHAR=0;LoadExt=;[#34]"

salu2
Rasl

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:29 am

Assuming that you have the SQLite driver installed on your PC, the following should work:

dbpOpenDatabase "SQLite" "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Driver=SQLite3 ODBC Driver;Database=C:\Program Files\SQLite ODBC Driver\test.db"

I have programs operating with tables with more than 100000 records

By default NeoBookDBPro uses something called a client-side cursor. Simply put, this is a method of accessing data that relies on the client application to handle most of the data storage and processing. Client-side processing is very flexible and generally provides the fastest performance for small to medium sized databases. For large databases, however, a client-side cursor can sometimes consume too many system resources resulting in poor performance. To compensate for this problem, you may want to use a server-side cursor when working with very large databases. In NeoBookDBPro you can switch to a server-side cursor by adding "CursorLocation=Server" to your connection string. For example:

dbpOpenDatabase "SQLite" "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Driver=SQLite3 ODBC Driver;Database=C:\Program Files\SQLite ODBC Driver\test.db;CursorLocation=Server"

With a client-side cursor (the default) all data is copied to the local machine and processed there. This provides access to features not normally supported by servers such as sorting and indexing. When using a SQL query, only the data returned is copied to the local machine. A server-side cursor doesn't provide as much flexibility, but is often more appropriate for large databases, and may be required when the size of a database exceeds the available memory and disk space available on a local machine.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Next

Return to NeoBookDBPro