Source language: Translate to:

NeoBookDBPro Beta 2.3 Released

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBookDBPro Beta 2.3 Released

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:25 pm

An updated beta version of NeoBookDBPro is now available for download from the web site below:

http://www.neosoftware.com/dbpro.html

The Beta 2.3 version includes the following:

* Added dbpGetProcedureParameters action. Note: Many databases (Access, mySQL) do not support this feature.

* Improved support for Excel files.

* Minor bug fixes (duplicate key error, invalid pointer error, etc.).
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:32 am

Hi...

I still can't create a key field on Database Access...

Create a primary key and an AutoInc field is now working.
Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:18 am

smartmedia:
Create a primary key and an AutoInc field is now working.

a) Is there such a thing as a key field for an Access database ... i.e. a non-primary-key field ... skimming some articles in response to Google searches shows no reference to any kind of key fields other than the primary key

b) Have you tried to use the dbpCreateIndex command to add an index with PrimaryIndex=No and Unique=No properties ?

c) Have you tried to create a MS Access Table using dbpExecSQL command ? ... which would pass your CREATE TABLE table ( field defs ) type content directly to the ODBC driver

@Dave:

1) While reading up on MS Access Primary keys, I came across the requirement that ...
Primary keys ...
- uniquely identify each record (no duplicate values);
- are never null;

... which brings up the question ...

If a primary key is assigned to anything other than an "AutoInc" type field, how do you then do a "dbpAddRecord" command ... which according to the Help file "Adds a new empty record to a table" ... wouldn't the "never null" part clash with the "empty record/field" part ?

2) Also read about composite keys ... i.e. keys made up of combination of fields ... presumably to make the record uniquely identifiable ... am I right in thinking that in order to do this with NeoBookDBPro, you should use the "dbpCreateIndex" command ? ... if I try to attribute "Primary Key" to more than one field, I get a run time error that the "Primary Key already exists"
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:25 pm

I think Gaev is right, Access doesn't support Keys - only Primary Keys.

2) Also read about composite keys ... i.e. keys made up of combination of fields ... presumably to make the record uniquely identifiable ... am I right in thinking that in order to do this with NeoBookDBPro, you should use the "dbpCreateIndex" command ?

You can create a composite Primary key, but you need to create the table using the dbpExecSQL action instead of dbpCreateTable.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBookDBPro