Page 1 of 2

Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:47 am
by UltraVox
Hello everyone,

In my application, there are "Hint" (comments that appear when I fly a button). But there is also a permanent Timer, and when it is active, Hint not appear. How to avoid this problem ?

Thank you...
UltraVox

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 pm
by smokinbanger
Not sure why. Are you using the tool tip hint of the object or a sticky note on mouse enter? With the timer running I still get both the tool tip and the mouse enter stick note. However, the stick note will pause the timer and execution of the timers action script if the script is running on mouse enter. But if the mouse enter sticky note occur while the timer is "ticking" (between script triggers) it has no effect in my test. What method are you using to create your "Hint"?

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm
by UltraVox
I used the conventional method, the Hint of the NeoBook button object.

In my Properties Page, there is only one Timer set to 50 ms. He made mathematical calculations but information Hint not displayed. When I disable the Timer, all Hint display correctly. This is annoying because the Timer seems to use too many resources...

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:36 pm
by smokinbanger
50ms is quite fast. I think this is more of a resources issue than a Neobook issue. Have you tried setting the timer to 100ms? Is it absolutely necessary to use 50ms? Does the timer use the Suspend "True" action?

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm
by UltraVox
No, the Timer does not use Suspend action. This is an audio application very specific. As long as the music is played on a Track, the Timer operates to generate the Bar Graph system, with audio plugins ChromeAudio and tmCoolProgBar. If I increase the Timer, the result is catastrophic for the Bar Graph. Ideally I need to find a way to integrate a real audio Bar Graph and delete the Timer. But I know of no NeoBook plugin able to create a real audio Bar Graph, without using a Timer.

There is two solutions :

1/ Ask a developer to create the appropriate plugin.
2/ Use http://www.synthedit.com to create a VST plugin suitable for my needs.

I prefer the first solution. ;)

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 pm
by Neosoft Support
Hints are displayed when Windows detects that the app is idle for a specific period of time. The fast Timer is probably preventing the app from enter an idle state long enough to trigger the hints.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 pm
by UltraVox
Thank you Dave and smokinbanger,

Dave, about audio BarGraph, ActiveX technology allows NeoBook to create and integrate with a appropriate plugin ? If I use NeoBookDX, ChromeAudio and tmAdvancedAudio, what would be the best method, the most suitable for the creation of a real audio bargraph ? This is an audio argument which lacks in NeoBook.

All NeoBook bargraph are created by several plugins. They are all with Timers. All these are false bragraph (emulation, simulation...), and they are virtually unusable in a professional application. None of them are provided with relevant and accurate information.

There are no plans in this direction for NeoBookDX, with ActiveX or others ?

Sincerely,
UltraVox

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm
by dec
Hello,

UltraVox wrote:Thank you Dave and smokinbanger,

Dave, about audio BarGraph, ActiveX technology allows NeoBook to create and integrate with a appropriate plugin ? If I use NeoBookDX, ChromeAudio and tmAdvancedAudio, what would be the best method, the most suitable for the creation of a real audio bargraph ? This is an audio argument which lacks in NeoBook.

All NeoBook bargraph are created by several plugins. They are all with Timers. All these are false bragraph (emulation, simulation...), and they are virtually unusable in a professional application. None of them are provided with relevant and accurate information.

There are no plans in this direction for NeoBookDX, with ActiveX or others ?

Sincerely,
UltraVox


Are you tried my npBars plugin? Although this plugin provide customizables "progressbars", maybe not exactly what you wanted.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm
by Neosoft Support
We've looked into adding a graph or VU meter to NeoBookDX in the past, but just haven't been able to spend the time required to figure it out. It's something that would be cool to add in the future, but right now we're trying to concentrate our limited programming time.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 pm
by UltraVox
dec wrote:Hello,

Are you tried my npBars plugin? Although this plugin provide customizables "progressbars", maybe not exactly what you wanted.


Yes, of course! This is a great plugin for advanced progressbar. But like all plugins like this, it needs a Timer for the progressbar "dance" to the rhythm of music (See ChromeAudio Demo Plugin). The question is : how to get a progressbar without using Timer ?

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 pm
by UltraVox
Neosoft Support wrote:We've looked into adding a graph or VU meter to NeoBookDX in the past, but just haven't been able to spend the time required to figure it out. It's something that would be cool to add in the future, but right now we're trying to concentrate our limited programming time.


OK.......
It's true that it's been that I expect this feature. With NeoBook can create a lot of MP3/Wave Players and other formats, but never with an audio bargraph. No one here can make a player as accurate as those already existing on the net.

A small portion of my Audio Mixing Console
Image

It's a shame because my project progresses ...
This bar graph is beautiful, but it is not real.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 am
by dec
UltraVox wrote:
dec wrote:Hello,

Are you tried my npBars plugin? Although this plugin provide customizables "progressbars", maybe not exactly what you wanted.


Yes, of course! This is a great plugin for advanced progressbar. But like all plugins like this, it needs a Timer for the progressbar "dance" to the rhythm of music (See ChromeAudio Demo Plugin). The question is : how to get a progressbar without using Timer ?


Sorry but I cannot understand. The progressbar's and timer's are not together. In other words, you can set the progressbar's position from a Timer... or from whatever other place. I'am sure that you need a Timer object (or using it currently now) but the progressbar's are not "Timer related" and can be used without a Timer object.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:27 am
by UltraVox
David, I agree with that. But you do not understand.

The Play button has two actions :
1/ Playing Music
2/ Start Timer

The Timer contains a mathematical calculated that determines the position of the progressbar, depending on the Sound Level of the music. This timer is the only object capable of reproducing a mathematical calculated every 50 ms. It is through this mathematical calculates that the progressbar is able to dance to the music. It's not me who decided. If it was me, I will integrate a Real Audio Bargraph rather than anything else. Unfortunately, NeoBook can not do...

Seek and you will see that nobody here has never been a simple MP3 player equipped with an audio bargraph that is not a progressbar with Timer action.

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 am
by mishem
Why not use a timer instead of a loop?
At the start of play set the variable [Start] = 1 and start the cycle with a mathematical performance. If you stop playback assign a variable to 0 or just delete it.

Code: Select all
While "[Start]" "<>" ""
  Math "" "" ""
EndWhile

Re: Hint and Timer actions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 am
by UltraVox
Hi mishem,

I use a timer so that the bargraph changes according to the Sound Level. This is not a simple animation, as does a bargraph to load a file. The mathematical calculates is repeated every 50 ms for ChromeAudio plugin can find the Sound Peak every 50 ms, and accordingly the bargraph display.

Your method is downright interesting, but it does not work. The bargraph "flashes" bad, from white to black, and the Hint's still not working.