Source language: Translate to:

Problem with example from help file

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Problem with example from help file

Postby dpayer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 am

I am attempting to get something from the page displayed in the webbrowser object. I am getting errors so I go to the basics:

Win7, IE8
In Advanced/Security section of Internet Options, I allow active content to run in files on my computer.

I create a webbrowser object, I remove check for Enhanced Security.

I create a button and have as the Action the sample from the help file:

Example:
This example executes NeoBook's AlertBox action:

<script language="JScript">
function DoExec() {
window.external.nbExecAction( 'AlertBox "Hello" "Hello from the Web Browser!"' );
}
</script>

using this syntax:
Code: Select all
BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser2" "<script language=[#34]JScript[#34]>||function DoExec() {||  window.external.nbExecAction( 'AlertBox [#34]Hello[#34] [#34]Hello from the Web Browser![#34]' );||}||</script>" "JScript"

I get the following error when I test the script, when I run the app from the beginning and when I compile the app:

Could not complete the operation due to error: 80020101

Any insights?

David Payer
dpayer

If you....

Postby virger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 am

FROM COSTA RICA
PURA VIDA
--------------
And if you try this!??
(it's a button)
---------------------------
{NeoBook 5 Objects}
NeoBookVer=5.70
ObjectType=3
Name=BtIE
X=174
Y=70
W=70
H=30
Anchor=0
Text=Internet
Align=2
ImageStyle=0
XPTheme=Yes
ObjAction=BrowserLoadFromStr "WEB" "<html>|<script language=[#34]JScript[#34]>|function DoExec() {| window.external.nbExecAction( 'AlertBox [#34]Hello[#34] [#34]Hello from the Web Browser![#34]' );|}|</script>|<body onload=[#34]DoExec()[#34]>|HELLO|</body>|</html>"
LineColor=0
LineWidth=2
LineStyle=0
FillColor=16304352
FillPattern=0
Font=Arial
FontSize=10
FontStyle=0
FontCharset=1
TextColor=0
TabOrder=10
virger

Re: If you....

Postby dpayer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:31 am

Virgir, Thank you for the example. That will cause a NB alertbox to pop up. I will see if I can use nbExecAction instead of BrowserExecScript.

My ultimate goal is to execute an existing JS function on a page and return the value generated into NB.

David P.
dpayer

Partial solution

Postby dpayer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 am

In the original post I mentioned problems and therefore the test that also didn't work right. Here are the details and one work around I found.

I am attempting to get TinyMCE to work in a WebBrowser object to create an HTML editor :)

It works fine, loading their sample scripts from file. They even have a link on the bottom of the sample for getting the HTML generated.

In my attempt to get this using a button to execute a script in the browser I have (with failure) tried this:
BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser1" "<script language=[#34]JScript[#34]>||function GetRawHTML() {||RawHTMLdata = (tinyMCE.get('elm1').getContent());|window.external.nbSetVar( '[RawHTML]', RawHTMLdata );|  }||</script>

the code: (tinyMCE.get('elm1').getContent() is the function provided in TinyMCE via a link on the sample page.

I also tried (unsuccessfully) using a standard JS function of getElementByID:
window.external.nbSetVar( '[rawhtml]', document.getElementById('elm1'));

which gave the same error in the original post.

The one (non NB) way that worked was the link in the sample page which called the TinyMCE function:
<a href="javascript:;" onclick="alert(tinyMCE.get('elm1').getContent());return false;">[Get contents]</a>

it displays the code of the page in a JS alertbox.

Well, guess what, I see I can do something similar with NB with a link in the webpage that I can get back as a NB variable! Using a separate Alertbox to display that variable, I see it works.
<a href="neobook:;" onclick="window.external.nbSetVar( '[rawHTML]', (tinyMCE.get('elm1').getContent()));return false;">[Get contents via NB]</a>

Now I need how to control this with NB functions directly. It appears I must not be getting the syntax of using the BrowserExecScript right.
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Could not complete the operation due to error: 80020101

That's Microsoft's general all purpose error message for almost any error in a script. It's maddeningly unhelpful, but usually means that there is a syntax error somewhere.

Try something like this:

BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser2" "window.external.nbExecAction( 'AlertBox [#34]Hello[#34] [#34]Hello from the Web Browser![#34]' );" "JScript"
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Tony Kroos » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

dpayer wrote:My ultimate goal is to execute an existing JS function on a page and return the value generated into NB.

Attach a function to any event (click, load, etc...) and add parameters to be passed to neobook, or just make direct call: ReturnNB('valueToNB').
Syntax:
window.external.nbSetVar('HelloFromTheWebBrowser', valueToNB);

http://www.mediafire.com/?1m71mwd5drd4hx8
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 am

Sorry for the confusion, but you cannot use the square brackets around the variable name when calling nbSetVar or nbGetVar inside the BrowserExecScript action. The reason is that NeoBook will try to populate those variables before passing the JavaScript on to the browser to be executed. Since the [rawHTML] variable is empty when BrowserExecScript is executed the population of variables by NeoBook will convert the script from this:

window.external.nbSetVar( '[rawHTML]', TXTarea );

to this:

window.external.nbSetVar( '', TXTarea );

Which, as you've discovered, won't work. To resolve this problem, you can use just remove the square brackets [ ] from the script. For example, the following will work:

BrowserExecScript "WebBrowser1" "var TXTarea=(tinyMCE.get('elm1').getContent());|window.external.nbSetVar( 'rawHTML', TXTarea );" "JScript"

The variable brackets can be used when nbSetVar is embedded inside the actual HTML document since NeoBook can't populate code that originates from the browser.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dpayer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:Sorry for the confusion, but you cannot use the square brackets around the variable name when calling nbSetVar or nbGetVar inside the BrowserExecScript action.

Thanks! That was the issue.

David
dpayer

Return to NeoBook Action Commands