Source language: Translate to:

Exit function: Strange behavior, please help

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Exit function: Strange behavior, please help

Postby Oyster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:36 am

Hello everyone,
I noticed unexpectedly a very strange behavior with the exit command. Used in his simple way (with no interaction box) it returns me a "Stack overflow" error.
With the interaction Yes/No, if I choose Yes, nothing happens, if I choose No, the program exit... !!!! :shock:
I must confess I just don't understand; never had problems with this (till yesterday).
Even If I define a custom message box to choose a different exiting procedure.
I'm little bit confused.... surely it is my fault but honestly I don't know what it might be changed from yesterday: the only thing I done is to install a licensed new neosoftware plugin FM/FTP...

Plese, any idea about this?

NB 5.6.4a, XP SP3 with all security updates

Today I will try to recreate the problem on another pc with 7 32bit..

Thaks in advance, and excuse my bad english!
Oyster

Postby smartmedia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 am

Hi..

* First try to create a new pub with a button and exit command. If that play, than means your previous Pub has some code (loop - Timer) that run behind and produce the error.
* Also some plugins may produce some errors, so check if you have installed any new ones.
* Remove plugin NB FM/FTP from your installed plugins and then try again.
* Make a Restart in you PC before do all that.

Tell us your result.
smartmedia

Postby Wrangler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am

All the above, and you may also want to try clearing your temp folder (at least those files that will let you and aren't being used). Windows doesn't do a very good job at this when you shutdown. In fact, if you haven't done this in a while, you might be surprised at all the junk in there. Sometimes it will contain a file(s) that will cause problems.

There are free utilities out there that will help you do this. Do a google for them.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Oyster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply,

Smartmedia:
*First try to create a new pub with a button and exit command. If that play, than means your previous Pub has some code (loop - Timer) that run behind and produce the error.
Done yet, and it runs regularly but in my projet I noticed 2 vars triggered, but NOT BY ME!!!!! ... These are [ShutdownStatus] ->"True" and [ShutdownSource] -> "Neobook". I read the predefined global vars and I can understand their use but I never set up these 2. (by the way fot this try i put the exit action only in the <shutdown> section and so the [ShutdownSource] var show the correct value "neobook").

* Also some plugins may produce some errors, so check if you have installed any new ones.
Only Nb FM/FTP is installed, no others.

* Remove plugin NB FM/FTP from your installed plugins and then try again.
Done.

Another (silly question): when I set up a brand new pub, with only a button with the exit action, as I mentioned it runs perfectly. Why in that case the 2 global vars above mentioned are not present at all? No presence, no triggered?

Wrangler:

**try clearing your temp folder (at least those files that will let you and aren't being used). Windows doesn't do a very good job at this when you shutdown. In fact, if you haven't done this in a while, you might be surprised at all the junk in there. Sometimes it will contain a file(s) that will cause problems.

I know very well, in fact I always keep it clear.

Thanks again for the patience!
Oyster

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:06 am

If you can provide us with a sample publication that demonstrates the error, I'm sure we can diagnose the cause of the problem.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Oyster » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 am

It seems that If I use a menu script to exit (File->Exit) and at the same time I instruct the App to use the Close Button I trigger a sort of loop; the exit from the close button execute the shutdown script. The exit fuction from the menu after the Yes/No message execute the same shutdown script... :roll:

Thanks to everyone!
Oyster

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 am

How would you do both of those things at the same time?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Action Commands