Source language: Translate to:

FolderBox

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

FolderBox

Postby smartmedia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 am

Hi..

I notice that in FolderBox command when you choose a folder is not adding at the end, the \ symbol when select a folder other than root. There is any specific reason or is a bug...???

For example if i choose My Documents folder i get:
C:\Documents and Settings\smartmedia\My Documents

If i choose C: i get:
C:\

So the difference is obvious. The \ is missing from My documents.

Can you fix that please...
smartmedia

Postby smartmedia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 am

Hi..

Searching the forum i did find the same topic made by me. Also find the responses for Sam And Carlos.

http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15093

I did solve it but i think that must be corrected in a future update.
Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 am

smartmedia:
i think that must be corrected in a future update.
... and have you given any thought to the adverse impact (on all existing Applications) that such a change would have ?

It would be better to incorporate Sam's suggestion into your Application ... perhaps using a Function Call to reduce the number of script lines.
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 am

Hi..

Gaev,

If the path is C:\Documents and Settings\smartmedia\My Documents\\ is working with no problem, so there isn't any issues if Dave will fix it and add \ at the end. Any way i follow up Sam proposal and replace it.

Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 am

smartmedia:
If the path is C:\Documents and Settings\smartmedia\My Documents\\ is working with no problem, so there isn't any issues if Dave will fix it and add \ at the end.
:shock: ... are you serious ? ... there are many (many) uses of the text returned in the specified variable ... e.g comparing this content with a predefined value ... how can you say that such a specification will work in ALL current uses ?
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi..

Gaev,

I don't say that this will work with all users, Obviously is not working with you. All i am saying is, when you take the all path, the \ defines the folder. Right..???
So what is more accurate...???
To have this:
C:\Documents and Settings\smartmedia\My Documents
or this:
C:\Documents and Settings\smartmedia\My Documents\

I don't know if i am wrong in that, is just better to me to take the path with \.

Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

smartmedia:

You are completely missing the point ... which is that once something is being deployed for a while, you just can't change it because you think it is "better" ... unless you can guarantee that ALL existing NeoBook Applications (that were built to work around this initial anomaly) will continue to work ... it is irresponsible to be suggesting that Dave (or any other platform provider) make changes to suit you.

I recently experienced a situation (on another platform) where an edit/save of a code section caused over a dozen instances of another command (which was not being edited by me) to be modified (and started behaving differently) ... this Application was running just fine for over six months ... but this thoughtless action by the platform supplier caused considerable damage/recovery for the client and me.
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 am

I think Gaev makes a very good point.

Also, if we made this change and you needed to pass a folder name to an action or plug-in, you would then have to remove the backslash.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 am

Hi..

Any idea how this "Anomaly" will work right if the user selects a folder on a network...???

Later:

Well i have used
Code: Select all
SetVar "[SearchFolder]" "[SearchFolder]\"
StrReplace "[SearchFolder]" ":\\" ":\" "[SearchFolder]"

That seems to work in all 3 cases.
smartmedia

Postby Ndzn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:03 am

This was never an "Anomaly". Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I've ever known, that's the way Folder selection dialogs work, (in any lang). It would be annoying if they appended a trailing backslash.

When you read the registry for a path you get the same result; folder name with no trailing backslash. One only has to code knowing this.
Ndzn

Return to NeoBook Action Commands