Source language: Translate to:

About changing pithc w/ DX plugin

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

About changing pithc w/ DX plugin

Postby carlos torres » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:23 am

Dear NB Support team

Happy Thanksgiving date!!

I use your Dx Plugin to play some mp3 or wave files. It's important to reduce or encrease the speed of those files but When I do that the pitch change also.

Is there any way to avoid this behavior?
It is possible to keep the original tonality when it got slower or faster?

regards
carlost
carlos torres

Postby arkzero » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi carlos

I don't use NeobookDX but i can tell you that what you are asking to do is called "Time stretching" and i don't think there is any facility to do that with
with any Native Neobook pluggin!

I do DSP in other IDE's Like "Juice" and "Steinberg VST SDK","Matlab"
C# and c++ is the way to go for Sound processing by the way!

You could of course make calls to some external dll or maybe use an activeX pluggin to accomplish this though! or how about Java? theres a not bad audio IDE out for it freeware!

I don't think we will ever see a full on audio manipulation plugin for Neobook since there is not that much of a calling for one! Pity!

Best regards
Ark
arkzero

About DX

Postby carlos torres » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks Arkzero for your concern about this message/need.

I will try to find something to walk around the problem.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Happy Thanksgiving date!!

Thank you!

I use your Dx Plugin to play some mp3 or wave files. It's important to reduce or encrease the speed of those files but When I do that the pitch change also.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is currently any way to avoid the change in pitch. I think that is just a side effect of method used to adjust the playback speed.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby arkzero » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm

I could take a look at this since its my sort of field of interest!

Ive found a good few activex ocx that can do this and more when used with Matlabs Activex plugin for Neobook but none of them are free exept the MSSR300 ActiveX

This can be set to control pitch at different playback speeds with some limitation in the form of you having to set the pitch before playing the audio file and not being able to change the pitch whilst playing!

If you explain a little bit more of what you hope to achieve and how you wish to use these audio files i can try to create you a solution!

I have thought about it and when i get some time to study and learn the Neobook Plugin SDK i will have a bash at creating a full blown audio DSP Add on.

Oh also have you had at look at the Bass.dll library http://www.un4seen.com/

It can be used with Autoit http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/
Which can be used to integrate it with Neobook if the Bass library cant be used directly by Neobook its self! not sure on that!

Best regards
arkzero

Postby arkzero » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:47 pm

You are using the DX plugin right, and the DX plugin can use Directshow filters installed on the machine! is that correct?

If so look at this free audio DSP filter.......

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DC_DSP_Filter.htm

could be what you need!
arkzero

About changing pitch w/ DX

Postby carlos torres » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:56 am

Dear Arkzero

What i'm doing is to reproduce an audio file that could be mid, wave, mp3 and so on. But when I reduce or encrease the speed it change the pitch it couldn't happen because the sound track is used by a musician that plays along with it.

So, that is why i have to keep the same pithc at low/high speed. The sound track is a background for the soloist.

I appreciate your help and your concern about this problem

PS: by the way, how can i use the DC-DSP Filter 1.03 ?

regards
carlost
carlos torres

Postby arkzero » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi carlos

Right m8 i think i know what you wish to make,some kind of musical instrument training system where the performer can jam to a track and have the ability to slow down /speed up the background audio track that they are playing along with, depending on the ability of the musician?

Is that what you want to do ^^

speeding up and slowing down music is called "changing tempo"

midi is a totally different thing all together. midi is a system of data sent to a synthesizer whether that's a midi chip based synth on your sound card/motherboard or a dedicated hardware synth,sound modules or drum machines or software equivalents.
i will run through the midi file types for you.Midi standards are split into three formats-

type 0 MIDI file has one track that contains all of the MIDI events for the entire song
type 1 Midi closely matches the organization of modern multi-track MIDI sequencers.
Type 2 Midi is a format reserved to use with multi sequence synths and drum machines ect.

In amongst a whole load of midi note trigger signals you have a vast number of messages controlling the volume,pitch,ADSR,velocity,tone,eq,filter settings ect, of the notes.
the list goes on there are a good few other parameters, depending on the midi format you use.

So midi files have all this data to control the playing of these multiple instruments or even solo instruments and the settings for this data are fixed within the midi file and you will accept that if you play the piano and you play a piece at one tempo then play the same piece at double tempo
then many different nuances of the sound change with your tempo.
this needs to be replicated in the midi file to play back successfully and that means changing midi data to compensate for the tempo change!
Lots of midi data!

or you would have to provide an gui interface with the ability of interacting with the midi synth/midi chip and overiding certain data.

you could simply change tempo of the midi file but it will sound weird.

Sticking to audio would give the best results imho, i will see what i can sort out for you but can't start it till Sunday afternoon. but the audio should be no problem!

sorry for the long post but its a complex subject

best regards
arkzero

Thanks

Postby carlos torres » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Dear Arkzero

I'm eager to know what you can do. I will appreciate your help.

By the way I play classical guitar, but now i'm helping a friend with this little app for training clarinet students.

regards
carlost
carlos torres

Return to NeoBook Action Commands