Source language: Translate to:

Embedded

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Embedded

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:29 am

Hi,

I want to add more than 30 000 files in a publication but when I select all it bugs and nothing appear. Is there a way to add 30 000 files?

Thanks

Alex
Alex

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 am

30,000?

Really?

There isn't anything that would necessarily prevent something like that, but it might take an hour or more for NeoBook to process all of them into the Embedded files list. Compiling a pub with that many embedded files, assuming it would work at all, would also take a very long time, resulting in an extremely large exe. Running such a massive exe would also probably be very sluggish and take a long time to load.

I'm afraid to ask, but why would you want to compile so many files into your pub?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:11 am

Hello NeoSoft,

Thank you for your answer.

I need to compile so many file in my pub because when I want to extract it (the files are like drivers) in the Windows Dir and System32 Dir on Windows 7 it stops because the UAC in Enable!

That's why my idea was to compile all the files in my pub.
Does any body knows a way to deactivate the UAC on Windows 7 automaticaly?
And, it is possible, when the pub is compiled, to replace the existing embedded file with a new one or to add a new one in the pub?

Thank you

Alex
Alex

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am

As Dave suggested, embedding that many files is ridiculous. Why not zip them up in a zip file, and include with publication? Then you can unzip any needed on the fly. As for copying a file to system32 in Windows 7, you would need to instruct your users to loosen up their UAC. Windows 7 allows users to do that quite easily. There may also be a way to config UAC from within a neobook pub. Do a Google to find out if you can do that using the registry, or a method such as you use to change the system date.

You won't get much help for this here. Keep in mind that Windows 7 hasn't been released yet. There could be minor features removed or added before it's final release. It's way too early to be basing your entire pub on it yet.

Right now, Google is your best friend.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby HPW » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 am

My comment is only for the embedding part:

Neobook has no size limit, since the pub file is a simple ASCII-file.
I have made tests in the past embedding more than 20000 files in neobook where the Embed-window of neobook IDE got in trouble.
I modified the pub file then with an external editor and got it then compiled nicly.
(This produce a very long one-liner in the pub)
I used this technic in a production app with several thousand embedded lisp-files.
;-)
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

Wrangler :
"Why not zip them up in a zip file, and include with publication"
I did, but when I want to extract in Windows Folder it doesn't work! But it is a good idea.

"if you can do that using the registry, or a method such as you use to change the system date"
That is the problem, I don't why it is impossible to modify it with regedit! I explain, with Vista if I want to deactivate the uac, I go to regedit and modify the key EnableUAC to 0 and it is done but on seven, you can do it, it is impossible, you will need to restart your computer and it is impossible to deactivate it with neobook I don't know why. When I modify it, the 0 doesn't appear!
What do you mean with the date system?

"There could be minor features removed or added before it's final release. It's way too early to be basing your entire pub on it yet."
You are right.

HPW :
Thank you for you comment.

Thanks

Alex
Alex

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 pm

I did, but when I want to extract in Windows Folder it doesn't work! But it is a good idea.

To zip is a good idea only so you don't have to embed 20,000 files, and create a bloated, slow .exe with all them in there. But whether zipped, or no matter where they come from, the system32 folder won't ALLOW any files to be copied to it for security reasons. I'm not sure, but you may be able to loosen up this security, (with the user's permission) using your pub.

Google is your best friend. A place to start is search for WINDOWS 7 REGISTRY, or WINDOWS 7 SECURITY SYSTEM32. If may be just as simple as calling the windows Security setting dialog box and informing the user what to change, just like you can call the date/time dialog box in your pub.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi,

Ok, thank you Wrangler.

Alex
Alex

Return to NeoBook Action Commands