Source language: Translate to:

Run command and .PPS Powerpoint files

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Run command and .PPS Powerpoint files

Postby TSGSterling » Wed May 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I am attempting to run a powerpoint slideshow file (.PPS) directly into slideshow view mode.

When I double click the .pps file outside neobook in explorer, it works exactly as it should,

but,
when using the Run command from Neobook it opens the file in Powerpoint as Edit Mode. My client as requested it run directly as a slideshow. Are there any extra parameters anyone knows to get it to autorun?
TSGSterling

Postby Sam Cox » Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Can you provide all the parameters you are providing the Run command? Powerpoint recognized the "/s" command-line parameter as an instruction to start the slide show.

-- Sam
Sam Cox

Postby TSGSterling » Wed May 02, 2007 1:12 pm

Here is what I have been using:
Run "[#34][PubDir]CalCima_07.pps[#34]" "" "Normal" "" ""

how do I add the "/s" switch, like this?
Run "[#34][PubDir]CalCima_07.pps[#34]" "/s" "Normal" "" ""

This didn't seem to make any difference.
TSGSterling

Postby Sam Cox » Wed May 02, 2007 1:34 pm

This works:
Code: Select all
SetVar "[PowerPoint]" "!C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\POWERPNT.EXE"
SetVar "[SlideShow]" "!C:\Downloads\gordnationalgeographic(GAE).pps"
Run "[PowerPoint]" "/s [SlideShow]" "Normal" "" ""
Sam Cox

Postby TSGSterling » Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 pm

I see, but what happens if there powerpoint install folder is on another drive or another folder altogether? Can this path be located from the registry or another way?
TSGSterling

Postby Sam Cox » Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Try
Run "powerpnt.exe" "/s file.pps" "normal" "" ""
This sequence used to work for me, but on my new computer it seems that I must provide the entire path. Anyway, try "powerpnt.exe" without the path. It should work. If not, maybe someone can tell use how to configure Winows to automatically find the program.

-- Sam
Sam Cox

Postby TSGSterling » Wed May 02, 2007 3:11 pm

Okay, I searched around the registry for ways to locate the powerpoint path and this is what I came up with. I believe I have office 2003, so if someone with different versions of office could test this, that would be great.

Let me know if anyone has a better way of accomplishing this:

RegistryRead "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" "Applications\POWERPNT.EXE\shell\New\command\" "[powerpointdir]"
SearchStr "POWERPNT.EXE" "[powerpointdir]" "[loc]"
SubStr "[powerpointdir]" "2" "[loc]-2" "[powerpointdir]"
SetVar "[PowerPoint]" "[powerpointdir]POWERPNT.EXE"
FileExists "[PowerPoint]" "[officepath]"
If "[officepath]" "=" "false"
    AlertBox "POWER POINT NOT FOUND!" "Can't locate power point"
endif
SetVar "[SlideShow]" "![PubDir]P07_Seminar.pps"
Run "[PowerPoint]" "/s [SlideShow]" "Normal" "" ""

-Ben
TSGSterling

Re: Run command and .PPS Powerpoint files

Postby dpayer » Wed May 02, 2007 7:30 pm

TSGSterling wrote:I am attempting to run a powerpoint slideshow file (.PPS) directly into slideshow view mode.

When I double click the .pps file outside neobook in explorer, it works exactly as it should,

but,
when using the Run command from Neobook it opens the file in Powerpoint as Edit Mode. My client as requested it run directly as a slideshow. Are there any extra parameters anyone knows to get it to autorun?

One idea not mentioned yet was to run it in an instance of the MSIE. If the person has Powerpoint on their machine, it should already have the ActiveX components required and Microsoft things like other Microsoft things (for the most part).

Slideshow is the only way it can run in the browser.

D
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 am

Microsoft also makes a PowerPoint viewer utility called PPVIEW32.EXE. I don't know if it's included as part of MS Office, but it's available as a separate download from Microsoft's web site.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby redjr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm trying to do the same thing and can't seem to get Powerpoint or the viewer to startup up the slideshow file eCAM.pps. Instead, it wants to start up full PP on my desktop in edit mode! I do have PP on my desktop, but am executing the eCAM.pps over a network. I want the users to be able to start a slideshow only with the click of a button in Neobook.

Any further suggestions?

Here's the code i'm using;

SetVar "[Location]" "[eCAM]\23 - Training Materials\eCAM_Slides"
FileExists "[Location]\eCAM.pps" "[Result]"
If "[Result]" "=" "True"
Run "[Location]\eCAM.pps" "" "Normal" "" ""
Else
AlertBox "Missing File!" "No eCAM .pps file found."
EndIf

Thx,
redjr...
redjr

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

redjr:

I believe the Powerpoint Viewer is for people who do not have the full product on their machines ... same with the Word and Excel Viewers.

Since you have the full product, it is the one that gets callled when you ask to "run" a file with the .pps extension ... same if you clicked on this file entry in Windows Explorer ... if you need to have another program handle this file you need to ...
Run "[fullPathOfViewerProgram]PPVIEW32.EXE" "[Location]\eCAM.pps" "Normal" "" ""
Then, Windows will start PPVIEW32.EXE from the specified location and pass it your .pps file name as a parameter.
Gaev

Postby redjr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Gaev wrote:redjr:

I believe the Powerpoint Viewer is for people who do not have the full product on their machines ... same with the Word and Excel Viewers.

Since you have the full product, it is the one that gets callled when you ask to "run" a file with the .pps extension ... same if you clicked on this file entry in Windows Explorer ... if you need to have another program handle this file you need to ...
Run "[fullPathOfViewerProgram]PPVIEW32.EXE" "[Location]\eCAM.pps" "Normal" "" ""
Then, Windows will start PPVIEW32.EXE from the specified location and pass it your .pps file name as a parameter.

I've tried that too. The viewer loads and tries to execute the .pps file, but end ups parsing my path variable [Location] one folder at a time issuing an error message after each folder. Like it doesn't know what to do with the path variable preceeding the eCAM.pps file. Weird? It never does execute the .pps file. :?

Run "[Location]\pptview.exe" "[Location]\eCAM.pps" "Normal" "" ""

pptview is the file that is used to create a .pps CD and in the Office 11 folder. Is PPVIEW32 and earlier version of the same thing?

redjr...
redjr

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

redjr:

Try ...
AlertBox "Location" "![Location]"
Run "![Location]\pptview.exe" "![Location]\eCAM.pps" "Normal" "" ""

Hope you noticed all the ! marks

Also ... should it be PPVIEW32.EXE instead of pptview.exe ?
Gaev

Postby redjr » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:06 am

Gaev wrote:redjr:

Try ...
AlertBox "Location" "![Location]"
Run "![Location]\pptview.exe" "![Location]\eCAM.pps" "Normal" "" ""

Hope you noticed all the ! marks

Also ... should it be PPVIEW32.EXE instead of pptview.exe ?

I'm either overlooking something really silly, or this just doesn't work! I have tried every combination of the RUN command line with/wo ! and everything in between. Still nothing. I can only get it to open in PowerPoint edit mode. Urgh! :?

redjr..
redjr

Postby Gaev » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 am

redjr:

May be MS (in their infinite wisdom) designed it so if the Viewer detects that the full Product is installed, it passes control to the full Product's program.

If you are trying to prevent others from editing this file, perhaps you can make a copy of this .pps in [TempDir] ... and then specify the copy in your Run command.

Also try and rename the file to some other extension e.g. .redjr ... and pass this renamed file to the Viewer ... see what it does with it.
Gaev

Next

Return to NeoBook Action Commands