Source language: Translate to:

PKG download

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

PKG download

Postby Neobook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:14 am

Hello,

I want to know where is the PKG file downloaded of the Internet, where is he ? I tryed to find it but I found nothing. I need your help, because I don't know how to open a DBF file when I am of Internet.

Neobook
Neobook

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:38 am

I want to know where is the PKG file downloaded of the Internet, where is he ? I tryed to find it but I found nothing.

It is in [TempDir].

I need your help, because I don't know how to open a DBF file when I am of Internet.

Do you want to extract it from your PKG?
Then it will be wherever you extract into.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neobook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:39 am

I don't know, I want that my program read and modify my DBF file when I am of Internet.
Neobook

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:52 am

Do you want to modify the DBF when it is stored on the server?

DBF is no client-server database.
So you can only download it by FTP, modify it and upload it back per FTP.

You can surf the forum for alternativ databases like MySql or wait for the new upcoming database-plugin from neosoft.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neobook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:53 am

Thank you, and it is possible just to read the DBF file, extract from PKG, (what you saied) ?
Neobook

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:00 am

and it is possible just to read the DBF file, extract from PKG, (what you saied) ?

Yes, extract it to [TempDir] and open it there with you dbf-commands.
When you only read it, every user gets his copy together with his package download.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neobook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 am

Yes, that is my problem, when I shutdown Windows, will the DBF file and PKG erase because, I don't will that the DBF file stay or the DBF file is inclu in the PKG file ?

Thanks
Neobook

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 pm

You can delete the DBF in your shutdown-action.
The PKG can remain in [TempDir], because then it is faster loaded the next time (when it has not changed on the server).

When you want to be absolute sure to get no info ouside of your PKG you have to embed it with text format and read it directly into variable.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neobook » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:34 am

Thank you very much
Neobook

client server possibilities

Postby dpayer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:26 am

HPW wrote:Do you want to modify the DBF when it is stored on the server?

DBF is no client-server database.
So you can only download it by FTP, modify it and upload it back per FTP.

You can surf the forum for alternativ databases like MySql or wait for the new upcoming database-plugin from neosoft.

:idea:

I have been thinking about this issue and did a search for dsnless+dbf and found some links that are interesting and possibly helpful.

We can use several providers to open DBF files usind ADODB. Basic way is to use ODBC data source (DSN or DSNless), there is several samples published on web. But how to open DBF files without ODBC? There are two other OLEDB providers, using which you can work with DBF files. One of them is Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.

This means that ASP files *should be able to access DBF files directly. There would need to be the ability to write to a file on a webserver and the ability to determine the actual path to that file on the server (most hosted web accounts give a database folder that can be written to but is outside the webserver's document path). Then a connection script could be created.

This may give an intermediate way for NB to have a server client/server standard. There would would need to be some standard asp scripts and they would vary by database. Also, a method to give permission to some clients and not others would have to be devised or any joe spammer could post to (or read from) your db.

Here are some relevant links:
http://www.motobit.com/tips/detpg_asp-dbf-database/
http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2224
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165866

Once the database is opened on the server with an http request of the proper asp files, standard select and update SQL queries should work - via the asp file.. This means a person could download the select and display it on the client machine and if changes are made, update the server with an http post to the proper asp files.

Of course, this kind of methodology can still be implimented with the new system that is being created by Dave@Neosoftware. It will be even more powerful when accessing Access or SQL databases.

This is an outline of a tool that could be used in this circumstance:

1) discovery script - put on a server and determine path's and whether a file can be written to
2) based on results of discovery script, creation of a select.asp and update.asp with the appropriate database connector information
3) static security system (static username/pw to access these scripts, could be replaced by more secure or advanced system).

Possibly a plugin could be made to assist in the writing of such files.

With these tools, you could have a real client/server relationship. People could interact with the same database over the net and the server (these examples were windows servers only - linux does not have the same ODBC types) would handle the concurrency issues.

This could give existing NB users some power and the new plugin users very sophisticated powers to create interactive applications.

Comments?

David P.
dpayer

Return to NeoBook Action Commands