Source language: Translate to:

Count working days

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Count working days

Postby smartmedia » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:26 am

I have a problem and i need help...
I like to count the working days between two dates...

The working days is 5. From Monday to Friday...
Some days are off because are national celebrations.

Start date: dd/mm/YYYY
End date: dd/mm/YYYY

I want to count how many working days are from 15/02/2008 until 05/03/2008. In the example there is not any day off.

Any workaround...???
I thing Ronnie has a section for days in rtSystem Manager but i didn't try yet ...

( Sam ) i need your knowledge...

Postby Sam Cox » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:55 am

You will need two things:

1) A function or subroutine to compute the day of week given a date.
2) A list of dates that are non-working (e.g., holidays).

For the first, Gaev once wrote a subroutine to return a day-of-week number. If I recall correctly, 0=Sunday, 1=Monday, ..., 6=Saturday. He may still have and be willing to share that code.

Given 1) and 2), the basic algorithm is:
Code: Select all
set [NumWorkingDays] = 0
for each [Date]
  compute [DayNumber] from [Date] using Gaev's subroutine
  if [DayNumber] is normally a working day
    if [Date] is not a holiday (learned by looking in list of holidays)
      add 1 to [NumWorkingDays]
Sam Cox

Postby smartmedia » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks Sam, i try some that i have in mind and be back with the results...

Happy Easter...

Postby Gaev » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:55 am

I remember discussing a Javascript based solution ... but I had to do a search on the forum to find my own (other) suggestion from years ago :-)

However, after NeoBook added the DateToNum command, it becomes quite easy to get the Day of the Week for any given Date ... by calibrating ...

i) either [Year], [MonthNum], [DayNum] against [Day]

ii) or picking a very old date against its known Day of the week

... and then comparing the DateToNum results of a given date against that for one of the above ... divide the difference by 7 ... adjust for the remainder (modulus) ... and you can get the Day of the week for any specified Date.

Sam's suggested method is perfect for calculating number of days between short/medium date ranges ... but it might take considerable time (with NeoBook scripting) to loop through date ranges that are (say) 2 or more years (730+ days) apart.

In which case one might consider another approach ... where all "dates" are in the converted "number" format

a) beginning with StartDate, find the first non-holiday and non-weekend date ... i.e. if StartDate falls on a Saturday, add 2 to it ; if it falls on a Sunday add 1 to it ; else add nothing.

b) reversing from EndDate, find the first non-holiday and non-weekend date ... i.e. if EndDate falls on a Saturday, subtract 1 from it ; if it falls on a Sunday subtract 2 from it ; else subtract nothing.

c) calculate number of "whole weeks" and "extra days" in the difference between (a) and (b)

d) for each "national holiday" that falls on/between (a) and (b) ... and does not fall on a weekend ... add to a "count of weekday holidays"

e) Finally ...

- multiply "whole weeks" in (c) by 5
- add "extra days" in (c)
- subtract "count of weekday holidays"

... more code to be developed ... but faster execution time to get results for long date ranges.

Return to NeoBook Action Commands