Source language: Translate to:

Neobook v XP

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neobook v XP

Postby David » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 pm

My company have recently upgraded my operating system to XP prof. The problem is that tools I have previously written and were running perfectly on previous operating systems no longer run properly.

The problem arrises when you have a custom window open and want to open a dialogue box. The dialogue box does not open and the program hangs. When clearing the system you get the message that it is awaiting user input which suggests that XP is preventing the display of dialogue boxes.

Has anyone else come up against this problem and if so is there a solution? or does it require a re-write to convert dialog boxes into custom windows. It appears there is no restriction on how many custom windows can be opened.
David

Postby cp4w » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:47 am

No problem when I updated from Win95 (!) to XP. No hang with Custom Window and Dialogue Box

Licia
cp4w

Postby Gaev » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 am

David:

a) Do you have the latest version of NeoBook ?

b) Are these older applications compiled with this latest version of NeoBook ?

I faintly recall that there was a similar problem identified with one of the older versions of NeoBook ... which was promptly fixed by Dave ... although I am not sure if it was confined to Windows XP only.

I believe it happened because the "modal" dialog box somehow got hidden underneath a Custom Window ...
A definition of nodal dialog boxes ...

When a dialog box pops up, the user cannot focus on the original page until the box is terminated.

If you knew which keystroke would close this dialog box (e.g. Enter or Esc), you could still get rid of it ... making the rest of your application "focus-able" once again ... otherwise you were up out of luck ... had to force the application to be terminated abnormally.

So ...

a) you could try and see if ... "blindly" typing the keystrokes that the dialog box would have required in order to pop-off ... works.

b) If so ... or in any case ... you might want to recompile the application using the latest version of NeoBook.
Gaev

Neobook v XP

Postby David » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:23 am

Am using the latest version of Neobook. The strange thing is that XP Home causes no problems. I am begining to think it might be something to do with the setup of the machine.
David

XP Pro

Postby stevec » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm

Are you ona network? If so - Novell or Active Directory?
System policies can prevent the application form accessing
software or applications.
Steve Christensen
stevec

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 pm

I'm not aware of any current issues with XP. If the problem continues, tell us which dialog actions you're using and try to find out some more information about your work PC.

As Steve suggested it may have something to do with XP's system policies / security settings. If that's the cause, then ask someone who has "Administrator" rights to try running one of you apps on their PC. If it runs there then it's likely that the policy settings on your PC are the problem.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Action Commands