Source language: Translate to:

Runtime apps share variables?

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Runtime apps share variables?

Postby dpayer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Gaev's response to my last question caused me to think of new ways to accomplish what I want.

If I *did* create a NB app that I would then run in a rectangle, it makes sense to do this as a runtime.

If I have multiple NB apps running at the same time (one in a rectangle of another, etc), do they share variables or are they all distinct? Is this the reason Hans-Peter created his plugin ( hpwRemote ) to share info between NB apps? Was it only for commands or could you pass a matrix from one app to another?

IF you could share variables between multiple apps running inside each other, this could be another way people could make their own modules or plugins to distribute to others.

So, is that possible (data sharing between NB apps running within each other?)

BTW, I tried to search this forum for threads on this because I seem to recall conversations in the general area long ago and they were above my head at that point. I couldn't find anything that addressed this issue specifically.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Gaev » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:56 pm

David P.
If I have multiple NB apps running at the same time (one in a rectangle of another, etc), do they share variables or are they all distinct?
... No, not directly ... although indirect (Clipboard, Files etc.) methods might be possible.

IF you could share variables between multiple apps running inside each other, this could be another way people could make their own modules or plugins to distribute to others.
So, is that possible (data sharing between NB apps running within each other?)
BTW, I tried to search this forum for threads on this because I seem to recall conversations in the general area long ago and they were above my head at that point. I couldn't find anything that addressed this issue specifically.
... I think there was some discussion when the RunNeoBook command was introduced ... data can be shared ... but the screen space is not ... and operation is sequential ... not concurrent.

I think the best solution still lies in having a facility that can take source code from the Function library ... and via a separate program compile a bunch of such functions into a .nbp/.nbr plugin ... the plugin architecture has tight coupling with pub files ... makes sense to exploit it instead of building new architectures ... Hans-Peter has come close to achieving this goal.
Gaev

Postby HPW » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:10 pm

If I have multiple NB apps running at the same time (one in a rectangle of another, etc), do they share variables or are they all distinct? Is this the reason Hans-Peter created his plugin ( hpwRemote ) to share info between NB apps? Was it only for commands or could you pass a matrix from one app to another?

Since you send any kind of actionscript to the other app, hpwRemote can do anything what you want. How is your matrix stored? In an array? May be a bit a script is needed to make it transportable.

Edited:
For an array you could use hpwListJoin/hpwListParse from hpwControl to get one variable.

IF you could share variables between multiple apps running inside each other ...

These apps are running inside the other only in visual sense. They are completly separated processes with their own adress/namespace. So you as the developer has to made the syncronisation.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Return to NeoBook Action Commands