Source language: Translate to:

Monitor changing variable

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Monitor changing variable

Postby Wrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:25 am

Can anyone come up with a way to monitor a variable whose data changes as a process runs without using a timer? I'm trying to trap errors by executing an action when the variable data contains certain verbose errors. The timer doesn't work because the variable data changes at different rates, and it will repeat the action until the variable data changes again.

I hope this is clear.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Gaev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:53 am

Wrangler:

There is a (long) outstanding request to have this kind of facility within NeoBook ... perhaps even an object whose Text Changed event code would be triggered when the variable defined/associated with the object changed value.

But in your case, I am not sure how the variable data contains certain verbose errors is updated ... perhaps a better explanation of how this variable is populated with the said error text might help in coming up with a suggestion.
Gaev

Postby Wrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm using Al's smtprelay plugin. Once you add the email addresses to validate, it connects, and begins validating all of them. During this process, which could be lengthy depending on network connectivity and the size of the address list, a variable will display the result of that connection. If it says ok, do one action, if not ok, another action.

I'm thinking there is no way of monitoring this, but I thought I would pick some brains before I gave up on it.

As always, thanks, Gaev.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby Gaev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Wrangler:

From your description, the ideal solution would be for the plugin command to ...

- either provide a separate result for each address (e.g. an arrayed variable ?)

- or allow you to define a (call-back) subroutine to receive this information for each connection

Failing that, perhaps you could pass the addresses to the plugin in a controlled fashion ... one item at a time ... and have the TimerInterval check for completion/result ... and if so, pass it another address item ... and so on ... and so on ... until the list is exhausted.
Gaev

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:08 pm

I´m dealing with this internally (inside the plugin, to let it be easiest).

Wrangler, in your example you

Loop
-ClearRecipients
-AddRecipient
-Connect
EndLoop

The correct way is

-ClearRecipients
Loop
-AddRecipient
EndLoop
-Connect

But, I know that monitoring is a difficult task, so I´m coding a better solution. Should be ok in a few hours from now.
TechMedia Software PlugIns
Plugins: www.techmediasoftware.com
Shareware: www.meyertools.com
Alberto_Meyer

Postby Wrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Thanks, Al. I'll be ready for it any time you get it finished. :D
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:21 pm

Ok. It´s finished. Just adding the help file.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby Wrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:33 pm

You're a good man, Al. 8)
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby dpayer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:34 am

Wrangler wrote:I'm using Al's smtprelay plugin. Once you add the email addresses to validate, it connects, and begins validating all of them. During this process, which could be lengthy depending on network connectivity and the size of the address list, a variable will display the result of that connection. If it says ok, do one action, if not ok, another action.

FYI, I want to inform you of a few tools used by ISPs to deal with mail issues. These tools will affect your efforts to 'validate' email addresses.

1) greylisting. It is common that an ISP will NOT accept your first request and will give you something like a 454 error (transient problem). It may even tell you to come back later. This is done to overcome non standard sending programs (like yours!). The server determines the IP and allows you to return after a period of time (2 min - 15 min). Most SMTP servers will try again when there is a problem.

2) anti - harvesting applications: our mail filter is set to catch when a sending server attempts multiple addresses and we find they have 5 errors (this number is configurable). We penalize that server with a 30 minute (configurable) timeout. During that time they cannot send mail or verify addresses.

3) RBLs (realtime blackhole lists) - it is also common that ISPs will simply block attempts to their mail server from residential IP addresses (from dial, dsl, cable companies - often your reverse address identifies this fact) unless the attempt is authenticated using pop or smtp authentication. You cannot easily get around this one. We make it relatively hard to send mail.

As it is, we reject automatically nearly 90% of all attempts against our mail servers to send us mail due to spam or other attempts to find information about our users.

David
dpayer

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 am

That information is correct. Sometimes is not possible to check emails because the info above. Bulk mailers, like 32Bit Broadcaster have problems with it too. The majot goal of this plugin is permit that you email messages from your application at user´s end to you, easily, because you can setup your servers to receive that emails. So, let is: You pub have some kinnd of LOG. You can easily get this log via an email sent by this plugin inside your remote pub. Of course we can do bulk/mailers validators too, but it will not work with all servers. I have put some internal results. By design, each email have a callback to show the results, but i put the result variable to make this info easier to read.
Alberto_Meyer

Return to NeoBook Action Commands