Source language: Translate to:

Window focus

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby Wrangler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks, guys. I can make it work now. I didn't think of the menux. Could be a good alternative to the window.

Dave: Concerning the combo box with action on Selection Changed: What happens if there is only 1 item in the box? Pretty much makes it a one shot deal. Same thing in the list box. You have to select another item to reselect the first item. It's redundant.

Try it:

Make a combo box with Test as a listed item. Then in box actions:

SetVar "[test]" "test"
AlertBox "" "[test]"

It'll work the first time, not the second.

It shouldn't behave this way. The action should execute each time. It should be Selection Made instead of Selection Changed. Just execute whatever item is clicked on. It's always been this way, and it has kept me from using these objects unless I have to. It frustrates the hell out of my end users.

OK. That's my feedback on THAT. :) I'll go back to my hole now.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Gaev » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Wrangler:
It shouldn't behave this way. The action should execute each time. It should be Selection Made instead of Selection Changed. Just execute whatever item is clicked on.
... similar gadgets I have encountered on Web Pages function just like NeoBook ... most designers don't deploy such objects as "shortcuts for typing" in the kind of "generic/universal" way that you are attempting.

In similar circumstances, I have deployed ComboBoxes IN PLACE OF TextEntryBoxes ... or, if user is allowed to enter values other than those in selection list, ADJACENT TO the TextEntry Boxes ... one ComboBox per textEntry Box ... it is a hell of a lot easier to populate every ComboBox with the same list items than the CustomWindow approach.
It's always been this way,
... yes, and any consideration for changing it should ensure that existing applications built around this behaviour do not break in the future ... any consideration for an onClick event trigger should be separate from the current onChange trigger.
What happens if there is only 1 item in the box? Pretty much makes it a one shot deal. Same thing in the list box. You have to select another item to reselect the first item. It's redundant ... and it has kept me from using these objects unless I have to. It frustrates the hell out of my end users.
... on Web Pages, most designers have as the first entry in the list something like "Select Your City" or "Choose Your Preference" etc.. ... which gets around the "1 item in list" issue.
Gaev

Postby Wrangler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:36 pm

... on Web Pages, most designers have as the first entry in the list something like "Select Your City" or "Choose Your Preference" etc.. ... which gets around the "1 item in list" issue.

No it doesn't. In NB, you would still have to select "Select Your City" in order to get an action out of the first selection the second time. I'm not comparing combo boxes on a web page anyhow. I've used a lot of software in my time with lots of combo boxes. They don't behave this way. I don't know why. Once an action is executed, it resets itself? Maybe the language they are written in allows it. What do I know. I'm barely a NB programmer. :?

But you're right. Changing it now would probably break older pubs. And I'm not going to make an issue out of it. I just wanted to make the point that this is a big drawback in the function of the object, and I've gotten "bug" reports from customers who get frustrated by it. WE know it's not a bug, but you can't explain limitations to a customer. And although it is a problem in somewhat rare situations, it can come back and bite you in the butt sometimes.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 am

It seems like the way you're using Combo Boxes is a little unusual, but if you want to use it as a shortcut for filling in Text Entry Fields, it's not against the law. However, what you will want to do is reset the Combo Box after each selection to avoid the "feature/limitation" you're running into. For example, in your Selection Changed action do the following:

Code: Select all
AlertBox "" "[ComboBox1]"
SetVar "[ComboBox1]" ""

Replace "[ComboBox1]" with the name of your Combo Box's variable if different.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:46 am

Hmmm. That is so easy it makes me want to scream. :shock: And I can't come up with anything that would have made me think that wouldn't work.

OK. Time for a vacation. How is Bend this time of year? :)
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Previous

Return to NeoBook Action Commands