Source language: Translate to:

Greenhorn

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Greenhorn

Postby sakismorGR » Fri May 12, 2006 5:55 pm

I recently downloaded NeoBook and I'm really unsure about what I'm doing.
I want to create art projects with demos and so far I've been happy with what I've done. However I cannot figure out how to create pages for the client/student to journal or record notes then file them. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Artstar
sakismorGR

Postby Gaev » Fri May 12, 2006 6:34 pm

Artstar:
how to create pages for the client/student to journal or record notes then file them. Could someone point me in the right direction?
... don't know what your art project looks like but ...

a) Assuming that the client/student would request the recording of notes either by clicking or right clicking on a Picture (or a button adjacent to the picture), you would script the appropriate section of the tool/object in question to ...

- set up a variable (say [notesID])
- GOSub a subroutine that would present the user with a TextEntry Box in which to enter/edit notes for this picture

b) This routine would first populate the TextBox with any previously filed notes.

c) Along with the TextEntry Box you could have a button labelled OK which the user would click to have the notes in the TextEntry Box re-filed.

d) The TextEntry Box and the OK button could be part of a CustomWindow that would be popped up ... or objects that are placed off-screen until required ... and returned off-screen when the OK button was clicked

e) As for filing the notes ...

- the simplest method would be for each note to be saved in a separate text file ... whose name would be derived from the value passed in [notesID].

- depending on the number of different notes involved, a database file (like the one supported by the NeoBookDB plugin) could be deployed ... but might be a challenge for someone starting out with NeoBook/programming.

Hope this is what you had in mind ... otherwise, you might want to discuss the nature of your art project in detail ... and even consider uploading a screen shot of the project window to the NeoBook File Archives (linked from the second image in the top left corner of web pages in this forum.
Gaev

Postby sakismorGR » Fri May 12, 2006 8:35 pm

Thank you so much Gaev!
I’ll have to digest all you have written here. It sounds like it may be what I ‘m looking for. I’ll give it a try. I can’t post an example of what I want because my journal idea is only on paper. What I’ve done with the Neobook so far is just part of a watercolor demo. I’m not finish with it and I can’t publish it because I’m still in the try out period
Thanks again,
Artstar
sakismorGR

Postby sakismorGR » Sun May 14, 2006 1:30 pm

[quote="Gaev]Hope this is what you had in mind ... otherwise, you might want to discuss the nature of your art project in detail ... and even consider uploading a screen shot of the project window to the NeoBook File Archives (linked from the second image in the top left corner of web pages in this forum.[/quote]
Hi Gaev,
I really appreciate the help you have given me, but I'm REALLY confused. Since I can't upload a screen shot here can I email you a jpeg image of what I'm trying to do? I only have a couple of weeks left on my trial and if I can't learn to use this maybe I shouldn't buy it.
Thanks, Artstar
sakismorGR

Postby Gaev » Sun May 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Artstar:
Since I can't upload a screen shot here can I email you a jpeg image of what I'm trying to do?
... you can't upload a screenshot on THIS forum ... but Robert (rcohen) runs the NeoBook File Archives forum where members (and you have to join that forum separately) can upload files for others to download/view ... you can get to this forum by clicking on the second image in the top left corner of this forum's pages.

If you can't use this facility, send me a Private Message on this forum ... advising me of your email address, and I will send a message to this address ... so you can reply to it with the screen shot ... and perhaps a description of your requirement.
Gaev

Postby sakismorGR » Mon May 15, 2006 6:39 am

Thanks Gaev,

I put it on a free web site I used for projects in a class I was taking

http://maciearts.tripod.com/index.htm

I'm sorry I'm asking for so much help on this. I tried to find the answers in the tutorials. I think some who knows this program inside and out could do well writing an easy to understand ecourse for NeoBook!

You may contact me at: awindchimer@yahoo.com

Thanks again,
Artstar
sakismorGR

Return to NeoBook Action Commands