Source language: Translate to:

Opening an Internet Link in a new window

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Opening an Internet Link in a new window

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:24 pm

I received comments back from a beta tester that they would like to have hyperlinks open a web page in a new window every time instead of using an existing browser window that is already open. The built-in Internetlink command uses the same window every time. Any way to do this with the Internetlink command?

Postby Sam Cox » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi gulfcad,

Help me understand more about this.

I created a pub with a webbrowser and two addition buttons. The webbrowser's URL is http://www.neosoftware.com, and each button uses Internetlink to open a different web site. When clicked, each button's Internetlink command opened a new & different Internet Explorer window. When I click a link in one of the IE windows or in the webbrowser's window, the selected URL appears in the same window unless I right-click the link and select "Open in New Window" in which case a new IE window appears.

-- Sam
Sam Cox

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Sam,

I am using individual links in the articles (hypertext links) in the pub. I am also using a single button on a database page that reads the current record field for the Internet link. All of these use the "Internetlink" NeoBook command.

If there is an existing IE browser window open, when the link is selected, it will always use the existing open IE browser window. The user complained that they may be browsing and have a web site open. When they click the link in the pub, this will automatically use the existing open web window. I am trying to find a way to force the browser to open a new window when a link is pressed in my pub to keep from overwriting the user's current open browser window. Is this possible? Let me know if you are still unclear on what I am trying to do. Thanks.

Postby Sam Cox » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi gulfcad,

The problem might be on your user's end. Have him or her check their IE option settings. Open the Internet Options tool and select the Advanced tab. Look for the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" under "Browsing". Uncheck the box, and press the Apply button.

On my system when "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" is checked, I get exactly the symptom you describe. When I uncheck the "Reuse windows ..." box, I get a new IE window with each Internetlink called from a hyperlink in a Neobook article object.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

Added later: The key "AllowWindowReuse" in an obscure registry location tracks the state of this IE configuration option, but is not settable by Neobook's RegistryWrite command because it is a DWORD rather than a string (SZ) value.
Sam Cox

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:12 pm

Sam,

You are correct as usual. I guess there is no way to force this from NeoBook without changing their registry. Thank you for the quick response and solution.

Postby Sam Cox » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:25 pm

Actually, there may be a way.

Disclaimer: I am not a registry expert, so please do a little research before doing the following.

Using Google to search for "AllowWindowReuse reg", I found this registry script which unchecks the IE option box we've been talking about. Put this code, including the heading line, the blank line, the HKEY line, and the "Allow..." line (four lines in all) in a file named "AllowReuse.reg". The extension "reg" is important.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000

Then, using Neobook's RUN command, execute this like a batch file ... perhaps something like this:

Code: Select all
run "[pubdir]AllowReuse.reg" "" "wait+runonce"

Okay, this is supposed to be a command file for the REGEDIT program.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS. I'm not a great fan of playing with the registry.

-- Sam
Sam Cox

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Sam,

I will give this a try and see if I can work this into our options dialog and test running the external batch file. I will have to see if the same Registry Value is found in all of the operating systems. You always go beyond what is expected. Thanks again.

Postby rcohen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:22 pm

Just to reply with:

Thank you Sam... works like a charm ;-)

rcohen
rcohen

Return to NeoBook Action Commands