tmHostExe PlugIn - Host external application inside the pub

Plug-ins and utilities of interest to NeoBook authors

Moderator: Neosoft Support

tmHostExe PlugIn - Host external application inside the pub

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:22 am

Hi, new plugin available at

http://plugins.techmedia-software.com.br

tmHostExe

With this plugin, it´s possible to host exes applications inside a rectangle, like any other object, like flash projectors, delphi applications, power basic, run notepad, calc, etc. It try to mimic mmbuilder (arghh) funcionability on run external apps inside the pub.

It´s thread safe. When you leave the pub OR when the pub enter in design mode, the applications are killed.

Please note that many applications are not compatible, for many reasons. Another useful thing about that is for Delphi beginners. They can mahe standart applications without borders and run inside the Neobook, without the need to deal with the complexity of the DLL.

All the best

I have posted it because it´s useful for me. If interest you, give it a try.
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Gaev » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 pm

Alberto:

Very interesting concept ... and admirable implementation ; some observations from running your sample demo ...

a) Upon trying to exit pub (design Mode ; click on the hand), always get "Exception EConvertError in module TMHOSTEXE.NBP at 000081CA" ; needed the CtrAltDel three finger salute to get out of endless loop ; same result no matter which of the 3 exe's I tried.

b) When invoking the other exe's, noticed that they initially show up at some pre-defined location ... then after a second, automatically jump to the host rectangle.

f.y.i I am running Win/98 SE

c) how would one pass command line parameters to the invoked application ? in the first parameter ... following a space after the xxx.exe ? or does this need an additional parameter ?

d) might want to provide a function to kill a hosted exe ; I clicked on the wrong menu inside Flash and maximized it ; no way to get back ; then, I clicked on the button and got a second copy running right on top of the old one ; could close the second one but not the first one.

Finally, may I ask if this (and your other plug-ins) are going to be sold as commercial products (with comensurate product support) or are they being offered on an "AS IS ... Deploy if you find them of any use ... No Support Commitments" basis ?
Gaev

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:42 pm

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I just loose a extense reply... god... let´s write again...

1) hummm. I have made many many tests on this. I will test on Win98/me machine. It´s because the plugin is trying to release something from the memory, to majke the final cleanup. Is it occur in a stand alone app? Without the Neobbok IDE? I will see it right now;

2) Yes, I know this behaviour. I´m looking in to it. I have my parameteres right, but it seems to occur when i attached the window to a host rectangle. I´m working on it.

3) Not implemented yet. Accepting suggestions. By vars ?

4) It´s a good idea. I will do that.

5) All of my plug-ins, shareware, will be supported, including the old ones. I´m looking for the external market for my applications (Medical - Dental) so I´m taking care on this matter.

Thanks
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:57 pm

Yes, we have a error in Win98. It´s kind a Number Convertion in Windows Processes Handles. I´m fixing it (at least, trying :) ). It´s running fine on XP. I suspended the downloads until i got a fix. Please forgive me. I never ran in such error before. Thanks.
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:41 pm

well, in XP, working with process handles, you can deal with Integers. In Win98, you have to work with Int64. :) It´s working. Download is available again.

Start working on another requestes and suggestions. I´m working in may 98 machine. :) Just to avoid mistakes :)

Cheers
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Gaev » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Alberto:

Not implemented yet. Accepting suggestions. By vars ?
Similar to the NeoBook Run command, why not just have an additional "option" ; user can place in-line text or [variable] into it ; e.g.

tmHostExeInsideRectangle "notepad.exe" "myini.txt" "Rectangle1" etc. etc.
or (to retain current structure)
tmHostExeInsideRectangle "notepad.exe myini.txt" "Rectangle1" etc. etc.

One more feature for your consideration ... if the "hosted" exe supports StdIn & StdOut, can there be additional functions to pass/accept values ? e.g.

tmHostExeSend "Rectangle" "abcd[PubDir]"
tmHostExeReceive "Rectangle" "ReceivedData"

... where ReceivedData is name of a variable.
Gaev

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:02 pm

Hi.

- The Kill Process is done and i will put it later today.
- I can acceppt parameters. You just have to do like this: notepad.exe fullpathofthetext
- I can´t controll a hosted application. I only can create a process for it and assign to a rectangle. If the hosted is designed FOR the plugin, we can do such thing, but if you are hosting an Notepad, for example, i can´t see how it can be done. Maybe a flash application can use this feature through the fscommands. But an application, designed in delphi for Neobook, can "listen" the vars by sharing memory with the plugin.

Cheers

(Edited by Alberto Meyer at 2:10 pm on June 9, 2004)
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:44 pm

Posted.
Alberto Meyer

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Gaev » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:50 pm

Alberto:

Second version got rid of the error upon exit ; but while I was clicking on the menu items in the FlashPlayer exe, it hung up (no keyboard or mouseClick response) ; had to press reset button to recover ; may be just the FlashPlayer.exe.

The "exe and commandline parameters" in one option (separated by spaces) will be fine.

My suggestion about StdIn & StdOut was directed for DOS or Server type exe's (e.g. php.exe when run in CLI mode, will use Standard IO ; many other non-GUI programs (PowerBasic, PureBasic, newLisp?) might also be able to interface via such a mechanism.
Gaev

tmHostExe PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:01 pm

I think the hangup is a flashplayer error. The exe parameters is functional in the version you have. the strange behavior of misplacing the exe in start, i think is because i´m nothing taking the rectangle position in startup and the create process ins taking the main wndw as a host. I´m looking into it.

About the standartIO you talk. No i understand what you want. Sure. It can be done easily.
Alberto Meyer

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:58 pm

just tested it as i need it in a project.... works like a dream. thanx a lot.

Return to NeoBook Plug-Ins and Utilities