Source language: Translate to:

tmStorage PlugIn - Structure Storage

Plug-ins and utilities of interest to NeoBook authors

Moderator: Neosoft Support

tmStorage PlugIn - Structure Storage

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:08 am

Hi. New plug-in available: tmStorage.

http://plugins.techmedia-software.com.br

With this plugin, you can create a lot of applications, like backups, file organizers, photo albuns, etc. You can store files inside streams and treat them as normal archives, renaming, viewing, extracting, etc.
You can share streams with other neobooks users with resources, like pictures, sounds, icons, texts, rtfs, etc. You can protect your media files just extracting what you want from the stream just in time to use it. In the
future, with another plugins allow it, you can load resources direct from the stream.

My future plugins will use this plugin (optional, of course) to store/retrieve contents. Example: you can use this plugin to store e-mails without use any file access (just put the e-mail in the stream), so you can have any number of e-mail inside a unique file, etc.

You can use any number of streams in your application.

Example1: Store all html files inside a stream and extract it when you wanto to use it.

Example2: put all imagens in a folder inside a stream, and make a ease to use photo album.

etc, etc.

This first version is limited because we have to start small. :) If you find it interesting, please give it a try.

All the best

Al

As usual, sorry for the poor english.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:15 am

tmStorage.nbp is not in the zip file
SpiritHorseNOOT

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:20 am

oop.s wait a minute....

OK. It´s corrected.

Thanks for the reply.

(Edited by Alberto Meyer at 8:23 am on June 7, 2004)
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:30 am

absolutly brilliant work Cheers
SpiritHorseNOOT

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby mh » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:50 am

Alberto,

Can You please explain how is this different from using a password protected zip file. (I think that there is a plug-in for it already).

Does this provide added functionality?

Thanks

MH
mh

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:06 am

- Speed. Streams, with none or low compressed method are really faster.
- Directory Structure: when i put the directory commands, you will use the streams like a disk drive, and have total controll of the files inside it. If you have an application the save/loads a loto of files, it´s usual to store them inside a stream.
- We will use a "LoadFromStream" method or "SavetoStream" in future plugins, lik e-mail.
- Put the stream in memory, and use the contents from there. Faster than traditional zip.
- Possibility to move files from a stream to another.

The benefits will be coming in the next releases, so you can try it againt a zip file, but in my opinion, the streams are faster and ease to use. You can make your tests with files and choose what is the best method for you.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby HPW » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:05 pm

Streams seems to be a nice thing for plugins.

But as discussed here under our discussion here:

http://www.neosoftware.com/cgi-bin/ikon ... &topic=312

it would be good when this was a standard option from neosoft to get it into the core and let all plugin developer use the same function.
HPW

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:13 pm

I Completely agree with Hans. But I´m releasing some plugins in a couple of weeks and I need some kind of structure storage right now. If dave release some kind of stream funcionality in the future, It will be easy to export the streams to a new model.

tmStorage can be a optional method of storage for the neobook users, so I decided to put it public. I use it for a lot of projects. Of course I have to polish the interface to allow other users undertand it, as all of my commands in my private plugin are a mess. :) I have to take care of the error generated too.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Sam Cox » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:30 pm

Hello Alberto,

Could you use something other than 'str' (meaning 'stream') to prefix the names of this plug-in's functions? To me and possibly others, the prefix 'str' suggests a string function. Would you consider using 'ss' (meaning 'stream storage' or 'storage structure') as the prefix?

I am looking forward to your continued development of this plug-in.
Sam Cox

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:57 pm

Ok, Sam, You are right. next version I will change for ss prefix. Another feature is run an aplicattion inside the stream. I´m just finishing to start :) :) a new PDF plugin. To create PDF files. I like PDF stuff, like flash stuff too.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Sam Cox » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:33 pm

Alberto,

I did not have the pleasure of knowing you before; now you are impressing me greatly with your enegy. Do not wear yourself out. I, too, like PDF and Flash stuff.
Sam Cox

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:41 pm

Sam, I have a lot of old plugin stuff. I had to leave the Neobook for work in my primary job, but now I will stay for a long time. This forum is great. I´m finishing some upgrades in my old stuff, mainly in shareware ones, to give the users better versions.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby Alberto Meyer » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:50 am

tmStorage updated.
A new function "tmLoadTXTLineFromStream" read a line from a txt inside the stream and return the line in var [tmLineFromStorageTXT]

streams are heavly encrypted, so you can, in design time, put ***any number of TXT files *** inside a stream with sensible data and retrieve this data *direct from stream*. Nothing is written to disk, so it´s very difficult for retrieve what you are passing to/from neobook. With the Putfile, you can even create *counters*.  It´s nice for passwords. You can distribute a little stream to your registered users and check the data inside.
Alberto Meyer

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:06 am

hey alberto is there a way to load an image from the stream ???????? it would be totally awsome if this was possible
SpiritHorseNOOT

tmStorage PlugIn

Postby HPW » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:53 am

>to load an image from the stream ?

To load where? To an image-object?

See discussion here:

http://www.neosoftware.com/cgi-bin/ikon ... 2&start=20

with my wish:

nbPluginToStream( MyStream, 'Test.bmp', );

to get access from neobook native objects.
HPW

Next

Return to NeoBook Plug-Ins and Utilities