Source language: Translate to:

Strange app issue on Windows 10

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Strange app issue on Windows 10

Postby Enigman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello,

I have a NB app that I developed and have been using for years on Windows 7. The app is designed to be run from a USB drive and stays open all the time while I am working. I have never had a problem doing that on Win 7.

I just got a new laptop with Windows 10. On that system my app will run from the USB for about 30 minutes and then I will hear a "PLING" and Windows will open a new Windows Explorer window showing the contents of the USB drive. This is the default behavior whenever a new USB drive is plugged in, although in this case I have not touched the USB drive or even touched or used my app. But as soon as I get that "PLING" if I bring my app up off the task bar, then all the graphic buttons are just a box with an X in the middle. JUST the buttons. All other graphics on the app are fine. At that point the buttons no longer work and I have to close the app and restart it. About 30 minutes later, "PLING" and we're back to square one.

I am asking this here and not on a Windows forum because this only happens when my app is open from the USB drive. I can open any other file from the USB and leave it open with no problem. I can open nothing from the USB and no PLING. I can also run my app from the HDD and access just the data (Access DB) from the USB and no problem.

Since the Explorer window opening is what Win 10 does when a new USB is inserted, maybe Windows is losing track of the app running from the drive for just a second and opening the explorer window in response. That might be a window handler issue. The app has been compiled under Windows 10.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior?

Thanks.
Enigman

Re: Strange app issue on Windows 10

Postby fkapnist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 am

Windows 10 uses the Windows Defender program by default to check the USB drives etc. for virus activity... Maybe Windows 10 update & security settings want you to put your Neobook application name in its exclusion safe list....
fkapnist

Re: Strange app issue on Windows 10

Postby Enigman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for the pointer.

It turns out that Windows Defender is disabled because the laptop came with McAfee LiveSafe pre-installed.

A check of the settings showed that the default LiveSafe behavior for USB drives was to have real-time monitoring enabled, which must have meant that it did periodic scans of anything accessed from the USB drive. That must have kicked the chair out from under the application while it was running. I turned off that feature in favor of the less aggressive "Prompt to scan when inserted" option. After that the app ran unmolested and stayed normal all day.

Thanks again. Virus scanning had not occurred to me. My past virus scanners had not done anything like that.
Enigman

Return to General NeoBook Discussions