Source language: Translate to:

Safe to move to Windows 10

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Safe to move to Windows 10

Postby BRobinsonS » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:25 am

I am using Windows 7 and like many others Microsoft is offering free Windows 10 by putting a notice at the bottom right corner.

I did upgrade one computer from Windows 7 but whatever I did it does not allow me to save in the Documents Folder (Documents, Pictures, etc).
I did research the problem but have yet to remove the Read Only attributes successfully.

Of course, I want to be able to continue developing with Neobook and DBPro etc and don't want any restrictions if I moved to Windows 10.
Will Neobook apps be backwards compatible with Windows 7 etc.

Your thoughts?
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Re: Safe to move to Windows 10

Postby Neosoft Support » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Exes compiled with NeoBook should be identical regardless of what version of Windows is used. A pub compiled under Windows 10 should run fine under Windows 8, 7, Vista or even XP.

For me, Windows 10 doesn't really seem like much of an improvement over Windows 8.1. And Windows 10 is pretty ugly (visually). I think they had to make Windows 10 uglier, otherwise it would be difficult to tell that an upgrade had actually taken place. Am I missing something?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby stu » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:54 am

Neosoft Support wrote:Exes compiled with NeoBook should be identical regardless of what version of Windows is used. A pub compiled under Windows 10 should run fine under Windows 8, 7, Vista or even XP.

For me, Windows 10 doesn't really seem like much of an improvement over Windows 8.1. And Windows 10 is pretty ugly (visually). I think they had to make Windows 10 uglier, otherwise it would be difficult to tell that an upgrade had actually taken place. Am I missing something?

I actually kinda liked the new appearance... :wink:

I don't think changes are significant but I do believe its finer and more stylish than 7 or 8... Have a look at the command line prompt, biggest change since ever... I don't know, I like it, specially the Start menu being back...

I'm absolutely not ready to upgrade and I probably wont be for at least a year or two, when it becomes stable. I've never upgraded a Windows version right away, not a wise decision IMO.
stu

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:38 pm

I did't care for the default border-less windows with white title bars, but I found a convoluted hack to change the color.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions