Source language: Translate to:

Looking for a POP3 GetMail Function or process

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Looking for a POP3 GetMail Function or process

Postby Enigman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:38 am

I am looking for a way to retrieve POP3 server mail from inside a NeoBook program. My preference would first be native NeoBook commands, or VBscript code in a function where I have the source code. I am less interested in plug-ins because they tend to become unsupported long before I stop using my programs. A plug-in would be okay if it was an official NB made plug-in, or if it uses something very simple that is not likely to become unsupported by future versions of Windows.

My intent is to write my own POP3 mail client since apparently the market has fallen apart for that kind of software, and I refuse to use Outlook due to all its vulnerabilities. I am currently using PocoMail which is no longer supported by the maker and it has become so old that it is nearly incapable of rendering HTML mail content. Unfortunately I have at least a decade of back copies of business relevant mail messages in the Pocomail database. I have a way to move those to an Access database and methods of doing everything else I need except actually getting new mail.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Enigman

Re: Looking for a POP3 GetMail Function or process

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 am

Enigman wrote:I am looking for a way to retrieve POP3 server mail from inside a NeoBook program. My preference would first be native NeoBook commands, or VBscript
Thanks.

It is not simple to do socket connections and tcp/ip exchanges with a script. The server will require a response when greeted and you will need to negotiate username/password submissions and identify which type of security you will use, if any.

Then, when you get the email, it will be in the form of text. If it contains HTML / RTF content embedded as MIME encoded data, you will have to decode these before they are viewable.

That is why most of the mail plugins are external components that can navigate this process.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby Enigman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:51 am

It is not simple to do socket connections and tcp/ip exchanges with a script. ... That is why most of the mail plugins are external components that can navigate this process.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. :roll: I was hoping that someone might have a form of mail retrieval that is going to be available long term. Plug-ins tend to come and go while I still need them. Maybe some day NeoBook will add a "GetMail" command to go along with the "SendMail" command.

I did a lot of searching yesterday and found that most POP3 client developers have left the market on the assumption that web based mail services have taken over and not enough people use POP3 to justify ongoing support. Unfortunately, due to the generally unknown and widespread abuses of our privacy by the NSA (See https://nsa.gov1.info/data/ for a complete list) it is now more important than ever to back away from web based services. I have over 25 private domain e-mail addresses so I will never give up POP3.

Apparently, the consistently top rated POP3 client is Mozilla Thunderbird and one of the only programs frequently maintained. I discovered that I can directly export my PocoMail message history to RFC822 text files and then drop those files into the "Local Files" directory tree for Thunderbird and the next time I start Thunderbird i have all my messages intact. Thunderbird also stores it's mail in MBOX open text format, so all I have to do is write an import processor to read the text files periodically and scrape out new mail and put it into an Access database with a NeoBook front end. That allows me to use Thunderbird as an up to date mail retrieval engine and the rest of the mail management system can be my NB application for the long haul.

If anyone knows any other option per my original question, let me know.
Enigman

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:42 am

Take a look at the command line program CURL

http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html

You could include it in your app and use it to navigate a pop server and download emails.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby Enigman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:01 am

Okay, well ... that's pretty involved. That will take some research and a looooot of reading.

Thanks for the pointer.
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 am

I did a lot of searching yesterday and found that most POP3 client developers have left the market on the assumption that web based mail services have taken over and not enough people use POP3 to justify ongoing support...

Of course, Google "reads" mail sent to and from gmail accounts in order to serve you ads. Probably other web-based services do similar things or will in the future. Very creepy.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:47 am

LOL ... you want creepy? Go to that NSA URL I referenced above. That site is called the "Domestic Surveillance Directorate" and is the main information site (pronounced "propaganda") for the new Utah Data Center. Congressional hearings and Snowden revelations are a moot point. They freely admit on that site that we have no privacy left at all and they list all the things that are being gathered on all of us and state exactly how it is being gathered.

Olympic gold medal creepy. :shock:
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:51 am

I agree, we have no privacy. NSA is the worst, but why do so many people willing provide Google, Facebook, etc. with so much personal data and think it's no big deal? Maybe that's why most people don't care that the NSA reads our mail and listens to our phone calls?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:I agree, we have no privacy. NSA is the worst, but why do so many people willing provide Google, Facebook, etc. with so much personal data and think it's no big deal? Maybe that's why most people don't care that the NSA reads our mail and listens to our phone calls?

Most people are as dumb as a two dollar screwdriver and live in the new state of the union called "Denial", recently annexed by the federal government.

That NSA site, (See https://nsa.gov1.info/data/), has a mantra of "If You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear", which is a twist of the more standard "If You Have Done Nothing Wrong, You Have Nothing to Hide/Fear". Both of those statements are true ... right up until they are not.

The trouble is that the people who are gathering all the data on every single thing we say and do are the very same people who establish the official definition of exactly what constitutes "Wrong Doing". That definition is a moving target. It's a matter of what is a convenient definition for today. Tomorrow is a different story and a potentially different definition. So here we all are, fat and happy, not caring that all our actions are being recorded, secure in the assumption that since according to us we are not doing anything wrong, so who cares if they record everything about us. EEeeeee ... Wrong! But thank you for playing.

Ever increasing government paranoia causes the definition of "Wrong Doing" to constantly shift into a tighter and narrower definition, until finally, virtually everyone is a "Wrong Doer". History has shown this to be true over and over again where once good governments descended into fascist or totalitarian regimes while eliminating privacy and rights and outlawing virtually everything. You know what they say, ... those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I used to contract my services to Homeland Security and I have seen more than my share of weird sh!t. The NSA has been using the fiber optic beam splitter shown on this page https://nsa.gov1.info/surveillance/ in the chart called "Intercepting Communications of Americans" in the San Jose California telecom center since the early 2000's. At that time they had rooms full of people in that building who physically listened to phone calls and read e-mails of random Citizens as well as foreign calls and e-mails coming into the USA. With the advent of the new Utah Data Center in 2013 they no longer sit and monitor random calls and e-mails. Now they record absolutely everything and then use a massive Cray computer system to correlate all the data and then decide what or who to directly monitor by humans. Surveillance now takes two general forms; Recorded Surveillance and Targeted Surveillance. Recorded Surveillance is the ongoing automated wholesale gathering of all data about each of us. Targeted Surveillance is when the big Cray system spits out a warning flag on specific citizens (or foreign nationals). At that point agents are assigned to that person's case and that agent or agents brings up all available data on the person including realtime data on the immediate location and activities of that person. The form of surveillance being used for any given person depends on today's current definition of "Wrong Doing" and the content of all existing data on that person.

Here is an example of why you do NOT want to sit back on your laurels and stand pat on the assumption of "If I Have Done Nothing Wrong, I Have Nothing to Hide/Fear". Okay, I admit that this example is tongue-in-cheek, but it doesn't matter. The principle is correct. Okay, so today ... let's say that it is not illegal to fart in an elevator. I mean really ... it's harmless, right? But tomorrow, the Cray system finds a correlation that says that 43% of all terrorists farted in an elevator within hours of a terrorist act. So, the powers that be decide this is worth looking into and issue an alert to detain all citizens who have farted in an elevator. The Cray system is instructed to find all such data and produce a target list of people. That converts all of those people from the Recorded Surveilance state to Targeted Surveillance. The list of people is then given to agents who target you specifically. Within hours, you are walking into your local Target store when suddenly guys in suits appear and whisk you into a waiting black SUV which takes you away to be "questioned". Your life as you know it is now off the rails, all because of something that was perfectly fine yesterday.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! This is not acceptable.

We may not be able to completely stop this invasion of our privacy, but we shouldn't be just handing it to them. Recently an FBI agent was interviewed for a documentary on the loss of privacy. The agent said something to the effect that the FBI never in their wildest dreams thought that people would willingly post online everything they thought, everything they were doing, where they were doing it, and tagged photos of them doing it. It was an unbelievable boost to their ability to track people and establish intent.

STOP using facebook and other web services like it. Take simple measures to thwart surveillance. There are lots of things that can be done. For a quick example, in China, when people want to e-mail a private message they write it out on paper, then scan the paper into an image and e-mail only the image file. That doesn't stop a targeted surveillance attack, but it makes the message unsearchable. It's a small measure, but it helps. Have you considered buying one of the new TVs that has voice command capability? DON'T DO IT. Those TVs have their microphone on 24/7 and record everything you say within earshot. They send that audio stream out to a "Third party" site on internet for "processing". Guess who also gets a copy of all that audio? THINK. Vote with your dollars. Don't buy such spy hardware. There's even a Barbie doll out now that does the same thing. Don't buy that either. THINK.

One last bit of creepy. One of the projects that the NSA has on the books is to come up with a way to index the visual and audio content of videos so they can be searched for behaviors and intents. Simultaneously the news and facebook are spinning us on the idea that video is the next big thing to replace photo content online. A bit coincidental don't you think? Don't fall for it. Instead, delete your facebook account.

I could go on about this stuff all day, but I have to work too. Just everyone please pull your heads out.

(Climbing down from soapbox)
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 am

Scary stuff!

*Note to self: "stop farting in elevators."
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:37 am

Neosoft Support wrote:Scary stuff!