Source language: Translate to:

Unicode foreign fonts won't display

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Unicode foreign fonts won't display

Postby fkapnist » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm

I want to play YouTube videos in a WebBrowser object and to display the titles of the videos in a simple text box. Because YouTube is worldwide some of the titles are in foreign languages. I am using the Arial Unicode MS font but titles still come out looking like: ΔΕΡΜΑΤΟ

The foreign titles appear correctly in Internet Explorer but not in the NeoBook text box .... Does anybody know what is causing this?

:?:
fkapnist

Re: Unicode foreign fonts won't display

Postby Tony Kroos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 am

It won't display because Neobook doesn't support Unicode. You must convert your text into corresponding national ANSI codepage, and it must be present in target OS. Since your location is Greece, I guess you are trying to display greek text, so u should try to convert your Unicode text into Windows-1253 (Greek) codepage first.
Tony Kroos

Postby Tony Kroos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 am

fkapnist wrote:I am using the Arial Unicode MS font but titles still come out looking like: ΔΕΡΜΑΤΟ

so where do u display these titles? In neobook objects or Webbrowser, or what ? In general, webbrowser itself should handle unicode just fine.
Tony Kroos

Postby fkapnist » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 am

Tony Kroos wrote:
fkapnist wrote:I am using the Arial Unicode MS font but titles still come out looking like: ΔΕΡΜΑΤΟ

so where do u display these titles? In neobook objects or Webbrowser, or what ? In general, webbrowser itself should handle unicode just fine.

The foreign titles come out ok in the WebBrowser, but if I try to display [WebBrowser1Title] in a text box or in an alert message I get gobbledygook.....
And not only Greek but other non Latin languages do display in YouTube .... so how does YouTube convert to Unicode text display for so many different languages in one search result?

:!:
fkapnist

Postby fkapnist » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:23 am

Tony Kroos wrote:It won't display because Neobook doesn't support Unicode. You must convert your text into corresponding national ANSI codepage, and it must be present in target OS. Since your location is Greece, I guess you are trying to display greek text, so u should try to convert your Unicode text into Windows-1253 (Greek) codepage first.

Yes I was mistaken. Even YouTube in Explorer cannot display some titles, and changing Encoding settings to Unicode (UTF-8) doesn't make a difference.

It is strange that Windows can recognize dozens of image formats (jpg., gif., tif., png., etc.....) but when it comes to Hebrew, Greek or Russian characters, the "planners" at Silicon Valley didn't seem to care....

Neobook sees Western script as "ANSI_CHARSET"

It is not documented, but I wonder if Neobook also accepts "DEFAULT_CHARSET"

:!:
fkapnist

Postby Tony Kroos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:24 am

fkapnist wrote:if I try to display [WebBrowser1Title] in a text box or in an alert message I get gobbledygook.....

That's right, do not try to display unicode text in neobook variables/objects, it won't be recognized (in case of non-US national characters). Convert it into national ANSI codepage first.
fkapnist wrote:the "planners" at Silicon Valley didn't seem to care....

Detecting incoming text charset without knowing it in advance is a hard challenge, based on heuristic analysis. They do care, you even may google some examples in C++/C# but it always not 100% bulletproof...
--------
Don't know how hard it would be to implement Unicode support in neobook objects, but it's really pain in the ass nowadays which will only get worse in the future. Serious "must-have" option for future updates (if any ever planned).
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am

Don't know how hard it would be to implement Unicode support in neobook objects, but it's really pain in the ass nowadays which will only get worse in the future.

Converting NeoBook to Unicode is actually quite difficult because of all the text processing/display/editing/etc., but it's definitely on our list of things to do. Both NeoPaint 5 and our upcoming HTML5/Web/Mobile product support Unicode. Maybe you can sit on a soft pillow until we get Unicode working in NeoBook.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions