Source language: Translate to:

Adding icons to Listbox

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Adding icons to Listbox

Postby fkapnist » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:04 pm

This is an additional note to "Changing part of text color in a Listbox"

Using the same basic method as described here http://www.neosoftware.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20820&p=11215809
I was able to put icons into the Listbox that update dynamically (according to the URL type) when the Listbox changes.
It works very well I must say.

:idea:
fkapnist

Re: Adding icons to Listbox

Postby David de Argentina » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 am

Hi,

Take a look of this:

http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook/modu ... =7&lid=122

I think this plugin could be useful for you

My devaluated cent,

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby stu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 am

stu

Postby HPW » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello,

Another option may be: hpwImgListBox from hpwUtility

http://www.hpwsoft.de/anmeldung/html1/n ... book4.html

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby fkapnist » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:55 am

HPW wrote:Hello,

Regards

Thanks. A good set of utilities.
fkapnist

Postby fkapnist » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Regards

I see the HPW plugins are very useful and add lots of possibilites to Neobook! But the sample PUBs are not so user friendly in the spirit of Neobook, which basically lets you cut and paste things into your project without much to worry about code. HPW plugins require you to "study" the code before you can use it. The samples look like controls for a physics lab (just kidding). A few simple cut and paste example PUBs would go a long way in helping out beginners. First demonstrate the simple, and then get to the advanced. If I had time (and patience) to study code I would probably be using Delphi or C+ instead of Neobook.... When I have extra hours (or days) I will go through all of the HPW plugins...

:P

fkapnist

Postby dpayer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:17 am

fkapnist wrote:

Regards

I see the HPW plugins are very useful and add lots of possibilites to Neobook! But the sample PUBs are not so user friendly in the spirit of Neobook, which basically lets you cut and paste things into your project without much to worry about code. HPW plugins require you to "study" the code before you can use it. The samples look like controls for a physics lab (just kidding). A few simple cut and paste example PUBs would go a long way in helping out beginners. First demonstrate the simple, and then get to the advanced. If I had time (and patience) to study code I would probably be using Delphi or C+ instead of Neobook.... When I have extra hours (or days) I will go through all of the HPW plugins...

:P

fkapnist,

Your observations are correct but I will add this:

HansPeter has given so very much to this community. He has always done so voluntarily and with a generous spirit. I think your suggestion of better sample pubs could be responded to by someone like yourself who has great interest in NB. You could take his plugins and develop more user friendly demo pubs and offer it back to him. I bet he would be more than willing to make those available with the code if they are truly helpful. I have never felt it was Hans Peter's job to make things easier for us via the sample pubs. They simply show the potential of the plugin. He made these things primarily to help him in his real job. If they are helpful to us, so be it.

I say these things to you because I too have mentioned things in a similar vein in the past. I have observed over time that Hans Peter is quite attentive to comments made over his work. He will respond to shortcomings in the coding to assist people working on a specific goal. I for one don't want to take for granted his willingness to invest in these things for our benefit.

I hope you can create some examples for his plugins that would be even more user friendly than the ones included. It would be a benefit for us all!
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby HPW » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:00 am

Hello,

...A few simple cut and paste example PUBs would go a long way in helping out beginners. First demonstrate the simple, and then get to the advanced. ....

I agree that everything can be made better. My Pub-Demos were created along with the plugins for testing and as a simple demo.
Making better demos would need further resources. Providing command wizards for each command is yet much work.
And because is it offered as Freeware, everyone is free to use it. The price might be some learning effort.

... If I had time (and patience) to study code I would probably be using Delphi or C+ instead of Neobook....

Since I start with Delphi coming from neobook, I did it only for one reason: I want to do things with neobook which it does not support out of the box.
So the great SDK was the way to go and plugin-development started.

So no decision between them! Use both if needed. Or find a plugin in the community.

My credo as always: Use the right tool to get the job done.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby fkapnist » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 am

David,

You were reading my mind:

I think your suggestion of better sample pubs could be responded to by someone like yourself who has great interest in NB. You could take his plugins and develop more user friendly demo pubs and offer it back to him.

Neobook and its plugins are fun to play with. I have yet to come across a visual design tool that is easier to use (i.e., all the IDE's for Basic and Pascal). "HPW for Dummies" sounds like a worthwhile project. Sometimes a programmer takes things for granted whereas the beginner has difficulty. In the Menu plugin for example, a short line of code must go into the Book Startup Action. But the beginner may look through many PUB controls before discovering that. The fact that it is Freeware makes it very attractive. Who wants to pay more than the cost of Photoshop for a few basic plugins? We are still in an economic recession, especially here in Greece where we actually gather firewood.

:idea:

fkapnist

Return to General NeoBook Discussions