Source language: Translate to:

Set bookmarks by variable to an article and embed article

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Set bookmarks by variable to an article and embed article

Postby martincalatrava » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:42 am

Hi I need to know how can I add a bookmark to an article object by code.
I need for example a text reader and allow the user to push a button and mark certain article position
to alow later to read from that position.
And how to move article object by script to specified bookmark too.

Is possible aldo to embed a text file and use like article?

Please help
martincalatrava

Re: Set bookmarks by variable to an article and embed articl

Postby dpayer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:58 pm

This can't be done with a text file but links and anchors are possible using HTML or RTF.

Which do you plan to use?
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby martincalatrava » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi thanks for teply.

I plan to make this with rtf files. All i need is possible using rtf?. How?

Thanks
martincalatrava

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 am

martincalatrava wrote:Hi thanks for teply.
I plan to make this with rtf files. All i need is possible using rtf?. How?
Thanks

It is clearly possible to insert "Bookmarks" into RTF code (make a sample using NB's RTF editor and create a bookmark and a hyper link to access to see how the tags are formed).

The challenging part will be to determine where to insert it. Will you be using Editors' Toolbox or the NB RTF display tool? Editor allows you to insert into the document (which can be saved to disk or read to a variable). If you are simply displaying a RTF file using NB's native tool, you don't have a way to edit the doc and save changes.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby martincalatrava » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 am

Hi and thanks a lot for answer ;).

Yes I would like to use NB rtf editor to manage the text and put hyperlinks. I need to know how a reader of my app for example, can mark a bookmark from a button, save this bookmark to allow user to read the next time from that bookmark and when he continue reading have the option for user to mark another bookmark until he finish reading the document.

The other dude is if an rtf can be embeded and edit it from embeded or only must be like an external file.

I hope be explained right.

;)
martincalatrava

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:17 pm

martincalatrava wrote:Hi and thanks a lot for answer ;).

Yes I would like to use NB rtf editor to manage the text and put hyperlinks. I need to know how a reader of my app for example, can mark a bookmark from a button, save this bookmark to allow user to read the next time from that bookmark and when he continue reading have the option for user to mark another bookmark until he finish reading the document.

The other dude is if an rtf can be embeded and edit it from embeded or only must be like an external file.

I hope be explained right.

;)

As far as I understand, the NB RTF editor works to create a document. You cannot embed it in an app to modify a document. You may want to look at using Editors Toolbox to be your reader/editor. That way you could read an original RTF from file into a variable and display it in your app.

Then, when they are at a certain point in the document and they want to book mark the page, you could have the button they click (or use a right click if available) and insert a character ( a distinctive character like § would be best - see charmap under system tools for ideas) in the doc. Save the doc. Then read it in as a variable and replace the string/character with the code for a bookmark. You will need to give this bookmark a name like "lastreadsection".

Then have a button in your app that will act as a hyperlink for the RTF and take you to the bookmark.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Return to General NeoBook Discussions