Source language: Translate to:

Can a NB program run from an encrypted USB drive?

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Can a NB program run from an encrypted USB drive?

Postby Enigman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Has anyone tried to run a NB application from an AES encrypted USB drive? Corsair offers an encrypted flash drive with a keypad on the outside. You enter your code and the electronics makes the drive contents available. Otherwise the drive contents are AES encrypted. I don't know if the electronics decrypts the entire drive once the key code has been entered or whether it simply decrypts data on access, or if EXE files would like that environment. If anyone has tried this I'd like to know what happened.

Thanks.
Enigman

Re: Can a NB program run from an encrypted USB drive?

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:26 pm

I've never tried an AES encrypted drive, but I would think that once you enter your password the contents of the drive would become visible to other applications until the drive is removed. The device driver would automatically handle encryption/decryption on-the-fly when files are read or written to the drive. If that's the case, and you can run other Windows applications from such a drive, then NeoBook-created apps should also work.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:42 pm

The device driver would automatically handle encryption/decryption on-the-fly when files are read or written to the drive. If that's the case, and you can run other Windows applications from such a drive, then NeoBook-created apps should also work.

That's the part I was wondering about. If the driver is constantly handling encryt/decrypt on the fly, Windows may get pissy about trying to update parts of the EXE read during run time, unless the entire EXE is in memory and never accessed again at run time.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy one and do some time tests for the EXE, database and flat file access.

Thanks.
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:08 am

You could always ask Corsair about this. NeoBook or not, running an exe from a drive is a common activity, so they should be able to tell you.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:20 am

Good point. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.
Enigman

Return to General NeoBook Discussions