Source language: Translate to:

Blocking keyboard hits and not mouse clicks

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Blocking keyboard hits and not mouse clicks

Postby Enigman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:46 am

Is it possible to disable the keyboard without disabling mouse clicks?

When I run looping processes I want to disable any keyboard hits during the loop, but I do NOT want to disable mouse clicks. During loop processing I want to offer a way to abort the loop processing by clicking a stop button. But if I use "Suspend true" then the mouse is blocked and the user cannot click the stop button.

Alternatively, is there a specific keyboard key that will bypass "Suspend true"? I have seen it happen with the escape key before, but it is not consistent.

Thanks.

BTW, this might be a good new feature for the Suspend command. Add a set of radio buttons labeled; "Keyboard", "Mouse", and "Both".
Enigman

Re: Blocking keyboard hits and not mouse clicks

Postby ebear » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello Enigman,

Normally I use a popup window with a "Please wait" message and a "cancel button". This gives the user only the possibility to press cancel.....

Eric
http://www.lunarsoftware.eu - Lunar Software ERP database Development. Manufacturing processes, Document management, QMS, Stock management. Standalone solutions or connected to Helios Orange and other ERP systems.
ebear

Postby Enigman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Normally I use a popup window with a "Please wait" message and a "cancel button". This gives the user only the possibility to press cancel.....

EEEEeeeeeeee .... Wrong, but thank you for playing. :D (just teasing)

I am already doing that. I have a full screen transparent gray field that covers the program and in the middle of that is a dialog showing a countdown and a cancel button. The gray field prevents mouse clicks on anything except the cancel button. However, anything that is displayed on the screen (gray field or dialog) cannot be "modal" or it would stop loop processing. The trouble is that even with everything covered you can still press keyboard buttons and the app will react to those keypresses while the loop is still processing. That can lead to "undesired results". And you cannot use "suspend true" because that prevents clicking the cancel button.

Putting up a dialog that says "Please wait ... or cancel" is not enough. People WILL touch the keyboard.

I'm looking for a way to explicitly block keyboard hits, but not mouse clicks.

Thanks.
Enigman

Postby Tony Kroos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

You may assign ALL (or needed) keyboard keys as a "shortcut key" to a empty (or not )) buttons outside design window. When u need to "block" (or remap) assigned keyboard keys just enable buttons, or disable them to activate keyboard keys again. It works like some kind of virtual keyboard filter. Otherwise, you would need a special plugin for low-level keyboard hook to disable input.

p.s. - there will be problems assigning some keys like DEL or Break in Button properties window... just edit pub manually in notepad. also there were other workarounds, I can't remember now...
Tony Kroos

Postby Garic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:36 pm

To disconnect that the keyboard it is possible by means of a plug-in (if it to write certainly), but here at once arises 2 but:
1: the antivirus can give the alarm at once...
2: if during this moment (after switching-off your or other program will hang) then to be...
ks
Garic

Postby dpayer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:33 am

Enigman wrote:I'm looking for a way to explicitly block keyboard hits, but not mouse clicks.
Thanks.

I did a google search for "vb script disable keyboard" and found some possibilities you may want to consider.

Here is something that looked promising:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11570/di ... n-windows/
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby Enigman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:27 am

To disconnect that the keyboard it is possible by means of a plug-in (if it to write certainly), but here at once arises 2 but:

Thank you, but for security reasons I cannot use plug-ins for this project.

Thanks.
Enigman

Postby Enigman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 am

I did a google search for "vb script disable keyboard" and found some possibilities you may want to consider.
Here is something that looked promising:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11570/di ... n-windows/

Thanks, I'll check into that further.
Enigman

Postby Tony Kroos » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:44 am

also check free NeoBookKB plugin, why not, it's official...
Tony Kroos

Return to General NeoBook Discussions