Source language: Translate to:

What happens with NB on Windows 8?

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

What happens with NB on Windows 8?

Postby Enigman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 am

I do all my development these days on a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop. I have absolutely no desire to move to Windows 8. From what I have seen of it, it was made to appeal to the lowest common denominator on computers with fist sized "punch me" buttons instead of icons. The concept, and the endlessly scrolling desktop, really repels me (as do tablets and the mobile takeover in general).

However, I have to ask how (well) NB applications work on Windows 8? When I develop an app I want to be able to SAY with confidence that it runs on Windows 8, but I will not have a Win 8 machine to test it.

Can anyone tell me any caveats or "Gotcha's" with running an NB app on Win 8? I know very little about how Win 8 works or all the "flavors" of win 8.

Thanks.
Enigman

Re: What happens with NB on Windows 8?

Postby dec » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 am

Hello,

NeoBook, NeoBook applications and NeoBook plugins works well on Windows 8. All my plugins, for example, are compiled and tested under Windows 8. You can think that from Windows XP to Windows 7 we have more or less changes (can't write in system directories, etc.) but from Windows 7 to Windows 8 these differences are not too big in my opinion.

Maybe some details. For example, you need to take care with your installers: if you place lots of icons into the Windows Start Menu, then in Windows 8 these icons can appear "uglies" on the new Windows 8 Start Screen. I solve this, for example, leave only a couple of shorcuts from my installers. Another possible difference can be the "unsigned code" advise.

Yes; Windows 8 ask the user for non signed executables when the user download it, and the user need to make a couple of click before the program is executed. Windows 7 already advise the users about non signed executables, but Windows 8 do it more "dramatically". Of course you can try to sign your executables and therefore this issue dissapear. But apart these differences NeoBook, publications and plugins works well in Windows 8.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Return to General NeoBook Discussions