Source language: Translate to:

Run in Rectangle problems

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Run in Rectangle problems

Postby ebear » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello All,

I'm trying to find a way to make my application more modular, mainly because my main ERP application is a growing collection of separate modules (Stock management, Production, Document management etc)
The main application, lets say the Host, has a database driven tree menu system, with some basic function available for each user (Company information system, Intranet browser etc)

My idea was the following:
- All the modules will be separate applications in the PubDir
- The menu system will start the applications as RunInRectangle inside the host application
- Needed variables between the between the Host and the module are communicated via npCiph encrypted files (David it works perfect now!!!)
- When the user clicks on another menu option, the module will be closed and the selected module will be opened, again, when needed, the variables will be written in a encrypted file

This system has several advantages:
- For implementation of a new module only the new application has to be copied to the PubDir and the menu database needs to be changed. No more need to replace the rest, users don't have to log-out during the update.
- When a module closes also all the resources the module uses, will be cleaned. (Open databases etc)
- Due to the variable file is is possible to monitor per module how many people are working with the module. (It is also possible to use a database instead of a file system for communicating the variables)
- etc.

Disadvantage: Starting each module as an application will take a little bit more time, but I think the advantages outweigh this disadvantage.

Idea is maybe good, but now the practice:

Running a Neobook application in a Rectangle gives me problems. Each application runs without the Host application fine, also when the needed variables at start (Database connections, Username, Password etc are loaded from the files.
When I try to run an application in a rectangle, I get real strange things. For example the application runs in the beginning fine, then after some changes the application seems to run (Task Manager shows the application) but the rectangle stays blank. Now the weird behavior; if I undo the changes I made, or I reload the saved "running before" version of the application the rectangle again stays blank.
I'm fighting with this already 4 days, and I cannot explain this weird behavior. I tried for example a almost empty test application, without any plugins (some text-boxes, buttons containers etc) without any script, result ones it works ones it doesn't???

I there anyone who has experiences with this??? Or is there some other way to archive the idea I describe before???

Thanks on forehand for any help... It's driving me mad on the moment :lol:

Best regards,

Eric
http://www.lunarsoftware.eu - Lunar Software ERP database Development. Manufacturing processes, Document management, QMS, Stock management. Standalone solutions or connected to Helios Orange and other ERP systems.
ebear

Re: Run in Rectangle problems

Postby dec » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello,

Various questions here. One more thing to consider (if you already don't do it) is to compile the aplications using the "Compile as runtime package". This option requires the "NBPlay.exe" interpreter in order to run our applications, but the size of the applications is dramatically reduced. About the "Run in rectangle" action I have no sufficient experience and maybe other mate can talk about it, but, try using the "RefreshObject" action agains the rectangle just after run in rectangle action: this probably works refreshing the application interface and avoiding the "white rectangle" issue.

Also consider the use of "modal dialog" like applications, instead of running in a rectangle. That is, execute the modules applications usnig the "Run" action. Then the applications can be showed as "modal dialogs" or may even without this option, in order to interact with the host application. Considerer also the use of the "RunNeoBook" action instead of "Run", since they offers some specific options when running NeoBook applications. I know I do not say too much, but I repeat I don't have the required experience running applications in a rectangle. Maybe someone can tell us about limitations, tricks, etc.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby ebear » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Hello David, all

Till now I'm fighting with the Run in Rectangle possibility. I can say that I almost tried everything I could think of, including the suggestions from David.
Cannot explain it, but it is and stays very unstable, sometimes it works sometimes not.
I tried to disable plug-ins one after the other, again sometimes it works sometimes not. The application (module) is always started following the Taskmanager, but sometimes it shows in the rectangle sometime it doesn't show.

In the meantime I already lost so many time that I will stop with this approach. It's really a pity because advantages of separate modules is great.
David, your idea of "Modal dialog's" works of cause, but I wanted a more clear menu system for the users (see the Image below).

Best regards,

Eric

http://www.lunarsoftware.eu - Lunar Software ERP database Development. Manufacturing processes, Document management, QMS, Stock management. Standalone solutions or connected to Helios Orange and other ERP systems.
ebear

Postby dec » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Hello Eric,

Wait for a possible answer from other mate about the "run in rectangle issues". Problem can be how to reproduce the error. And what can be the cause. On the other hand, when I talk about "modal dialogs" I am thinking in something similar to the GIMP interface:

Of course also do not easy to implement and which probably cause some others possible issues.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:21 am

RunInRectangle should work for NeoBook-created exes, but we did not test it with extremely complex applications. It may be that there are conflicts with certain features, plug-ins, etc. One thing you might try is (as David suggested) using RunNeoBook instead. Place your main menu in a fixedpos custom window. RunNeoBook has an option to leave custom windows open which would allow your menu to stay in place. You will need to leave an empty area in your module pubs to accommodate the menu.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby ebear » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Hello Dave,

The strange thing is that it is inconsistent one time it runs the other time not. I did several tests and I disabled also all the plugin's, only a form with some text entry's a image etc. but the effect is the same.
I tried the application on several different PC's but it never runs like expected.

I will try some more and come back on this issue.

Best regards,

Eric
ebear

Return to General NeoBook Discussions