Source language: Translate to:

Displaying formatted data

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Displaying formatted data

Postby DaveJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:40 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking for any suggestions to displaying data that can be formatted and highlighted in a list.
At the moment I have a database showing details of jobs in a list. I sort them based on the date required and populate a page of text fields based on array values.
The easiest way would have been to just show the grid from my database in a rectangle but this doesn't give me the option of highlighting individual records that are overdue.
I cant just output to a text file as the record values will be different widths and so the formatting would be lost.
I am wondering if it is going to be easier to export the values to dynamically create a HTML page with table controls to fix the widths.

The idea is to create a factory display that shows the workers what jobs to do and in what particular order.
Are there better ways of accomplishing this?

Thanks
Dave J
DaveJ

Re: Displaying formatted data

Postby CN_Iceman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am

You can use a plugin to manage databases.
NeoSoft has two available, the first (free) is very simple but does the job. The second is much more professional and with many more options available.

NeoBookDB v2.3d
http://www.neosoftware.com/nbwplugins.html#free

NeoBookDBPro (You can try it for free, but to use it you'll have to buy it.)
http://www.neosoftware.com/dbpro.html
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Postby DaveJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Iceman, Sorry I should have been clearer. I am using the NeobookDBPro but it only gives the option of changing alternate rows colour, not all the records that are 'over-due'
This is why I have had to export the values and re-import them as a variable array in a grid of data fields.

As
[Job1] [Customer1] [Product1] [Work1] [Required1]
[Job2] [Customer2] [Product2] [Work2] [Required2]
[Job3] [Customer3] [Product3] [Work3] [Required3]
etc...

This just seems very crude. Ideally NBDBPRO would let you set the colour of the text or background for a record but I cant see anywhere this can be done.
This is why I thought I could output the results as some kind of formatted text so that I can keep the columns a fixed width.

Thanks

Dave J
DaveJ

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 pm

DBPro does not currently provide an option for changing the color or formatting specific fields, rows or columns. I think the easiest way to highlight records that are overdue would be to perform a query and display only those records. Alternatively, you could write a script to manually export the records to a HTML file highlighting the desired fields with CSS codes using whatever criteria you choose. Then display the resulting HTML file in a Web Browser object. This would give you complete control over the appearance of the data.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions