Source language: Translate to:

Windows 8 tablet touch screen keyboard

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Windows 8 tablet touch screen keyboard

Postby djpilot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 am

Hi everyone, I have searched the forum for some clues or an answer to me problem without success.

Unfortunately I have been given the task of creating an application that needs to run on a tablet pc running windows 8.1.
I am aware that Neobook is not able to make a 'Metro' application.
The application mainly uses buttons for the user input, with some text entry objects as well. The problem is that the Windows on screen keyboard doesn't show when a text entry box is selected.
Does anyone know how to make this appear so the user can enter some text?

The application has been configured as a full screen application at the same resolution as the tablet, I haven't tried a normal window style yet (maybe that's the problem).

Thanks in advance.
djpilot

Re: Windows 8 tablet touch screen keyboard

Postby dpayer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:08 am

djpilot wrote:The problem is that the Windows on screen keyboard doesn't show when a text entry box is selected.
Does anyone know how to make this appear so the user can enter some text?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have Win8.1 but is this keyboard used in the touch system different from the osk.exe (onscreen keyboard) built into windows?

You may be able to 'run' that application when you get a click in a text entry field and then minimize it when the focus is placed elsewhere.

David P.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 am

NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby djpilot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for the information and advice.
I have done some more research and it seems it's not just a neobook problem. Pretty much anyone writing apps that run on windows 8.1 not using the metro interface (thus using the desktop interface) have this problem too.
Here is what I understand thus far...
The Windows 8.1 touch input keyboard is not the same as the 'On Screen Keyboard' (osk.exe).
There is no real way to use the windows touch input keyboard unless you are developing 'metro' application using the appropriate tools.
The 'On Screen Keyboard' can be run by executing 'osk.exe'
But now I have another problem. I have tried to use the 'osk.exe' from within Neobook both from within Neobook and as a compiled pub but get an error about elevated privileges. I have not found a way around this yet.

Thanks for your input.
djpilot

Postby Cipolla » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 am

Have you tried to call a batch file from neobook, and inside the batch call the osk.exe?
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Cipolla

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

I can't imagine why running osk would trigger the elevated privileges warning. You may be able to avoid this by clicking the "Version Info" button under the Book Properties > General and changing the default Requested Execution Level setting.

Another option would be to create your own on-screen keyboard in NeoBook and display it with the CustomWindow action. You can use NeoBook's SendKeys action to send characters to the active Text Entry Field object.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby djpilot » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Cipolla,
I have tried to run it from a batch file but still no success. I get a different error though. It now shows me a message box saying "Could Not Start On Screen Keyboard".

Dave, I have played with the 'Requested Execution Level setting' and that also doesn't seem to fix the problem. I now get other errors while trying to run the compiled publication.
If I select 'Adminsitrator' I get a 'System Error - Code 740. The requested operation requires elevation' message box. and the app won't run at all.
However if I right-click and select 'Run as administrator' the app will run, but still gives me the same problem when trying to run osk.exe.

Through my google searching for an answer, I read somewhere that osk.exe has some special requirements to be able to run and was not like running pretty much any other program. It has something to do with preventing malicious use of osk.exe sending key inputs to other applications.

I did manage to find a program called "On screen keyboard portable" that will let me run the osk.exe but I can't get the appid from osk.exe so I can't tell if its already running or not, and I can't minimise or maximise it etc.

I will keep playing with this when I have time and hopefully work out a solution when I can.

Thanks for everyones help so far.
djpilot

Postby jmr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:56 am

Many more of my customers are now running (or wanting to run) my apps on Windows 8.1 Tablet.

I have had problems with my Apps automatically going to full screen despite being setup not to. This makes the keyboard issue very hard to get around. Plus I have not created a full screen app.... so don't want it to be maximized...anyway.

Apparently this forcing of Apps to run as full screen is a deliberate thing on the Tablet and I have not been able to find a way of preventing it so I have had to add the following code to the start-up script of my apps to fix the issue.
Code: Select all
SetVar "[WindowState]" "Normal"

This at least keeps the Apps in a "Normal" window state and allows the user to select the on-screen keyboard from the task bar icon when needed.
Not ideal but better than nothing.

If you do find a way of bringing the keyboard up when entering a text field automatically, please let us know by responding further to this thread.
jmr

Return to General NeoBook Discussions