Source language: Translate to:

WebBrowser: Disable show inline images

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

WebBrowser: Disable show inline images

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I need disable show inline images from a webpage opened with an WebBrowser object.

I checked on registry, and -aparently- this key do the job.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Display Inline Images

In fact, if i change the advanced properties of the Internet Explorer 8 (on Win XP) "Show Images", this key toogles between "yes" and "no"

This settings works fine in IE8 without need to close and reopen the browser.

In WebBrowser Object of NeoBook, -apparently- does not work.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Re: WebBrowser: Disable show inline images

Postby dpayer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:45 pm

I am curious, what do you want to see in the place that an image is placed by the HTML?

You could always rewrite the html to put a blank image there. Your formatting may be affected though.

David P.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello,

In order to get the IE8 options, try to use "really" the appropiate webbrowser emulation, check this article. On the other hand, if this did not solve the problem, maybe you can find a solution based in the HTML source... I can remember in the past something to do it, but not at this time, and, I'm not sure if we talking about the same "problem". So try the first possible solution: assert you use the IE8 emulation and not the IE7 which is the emulated by default.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
57 plugins, 1113 actions and 230 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks DEC, I'll try your idea.

DavidP: i'm doing an Outlook Express clone.

The default behavior of OE is hide inline images for security reasons.

I need do the same... leave blank the image places.

Thanks again,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi all,

It's curious...

I tested an old powerbasic sample of a webbrowser component (primitive but very eficient)

http://specialapps.software-zone.com/fi ... rowser.zip

that use the default Windows Internet Explorer component

and the result is as espected: i see any webpage without images.

Then...

I think the "problem" is into the WebBrowser object of NeoBook

(Dave, could you test it ? Thanks !!!!)

Greetings from Buenos Aires,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:54 pm

The "Display Inline Images" registry setting has no effect of NeoBook's WebBrowser object. I have no idea why it works with the old PowerBasic component, but NeoBook's WebBrowser is derived from EmbeddedWB rather than Microsoft's stock WebBrowser component. However, I don't think that using the global "Display Inline Images" registry setting is the best way to prevent images from being displayed in your app as this setting will also hide images in IE (and possibly other apps).

It is possible to configure NeoBook's WebBrowser to not display images, but that will require changes to NeoBook.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby David de Argentina » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks Dave,

No problem, I'm doing my own WebBrowser plugin based on the PowerBasic program.

At this time, i can switch show/hide images and works fine.

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby dec » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello,

Are you tried with my proposed solution? I test in my [url=smalleditor.com]Small Editor[/url] project and work like expected: the program, which use the "TWebBrowser" object, emulate the IE8 browser, and, when I change the Internet Explorer options, this options take effect also in my program. In fact you only need to follow the instructions of the refered article: basically put certain key in the Registry (valid on HKCU, so no need administrative privileges) indicating what browser emulation you want to use. By default the IE7 emulation is used, but you can specify the IE8.

P.S. I now that NeoBook use "TEmbededWB" instead of "TWebBrowser", but, finally "TEmbededWB" don't use the "TWebBrowser" object? I think yes. And, on the other hand, this kind of configuration is something that maybe is not made by the "TEmbededBrowser", like is not made by the "TWebBrowser": is responsability of the developer to use the emulation which wanted.
dec

Postby dec » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello again,

Well. After my long speech, I want to test if my proposed really can work or not, and, apparently don't work. I create the key manually, because I don't know how to create it by NeoBook registry actions (I know how to do with my npConf plugin) and maybe this is needed: in other words, is the program wich need to create the key. But this have no sense. In principle, with the appropiate key, the trick must work.

One more thing: the value that is needed to add to the appropiate key is the executable name, so, maybe we need to use here another value instead our executable publication name (since NeoBook interpreter can cause the missunderstanding). Also, it's possible that I'am wrong, in the sense that "TEmbededWB" don't work in the same way that "TWebBrowser". I only can say one thing, important, in my opinion: if you finally put the control in the right emulation mode (IE8), apparently the problem is solved: since in this emulation mode the Internet Explorer options, apparently, also run for the object in our application.
dec

Postby David de Argentina » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi DEC,

I tryed your suggestion... but does not work for me.

As I answered Dave, I'm doing my own WebBrowser plugin.

The core of the plugin is based on the Shell.Explorer component.

After one day of work, plugin does:

a) Create (and End) multiples intances (rectangle based) of WebBrowser Object
b) Goto URL, Back, Forward, Stop, Print, Preview, and Fullscreen Services.
c) Reset WebBrowser based on settings changes (in this case, show / hide images)
d) Get the source HTML to a NeoBook Variable
e) Internal issues ( resize, hide, etc)

To Do:
* Returns the Ready_State Status (COMPLETE, INTERACTIVE, LOADED and LOADING)
* Edit Dialogs ( Plugin looks as a NBR file )
* Minor fixes

I think this plugin is more "realistic" than NeoBook WebBrowser Object, because i posted in this forum, some curiosities about different results using Internet Explorer (whatever version) and the NeoBook WebBrowser Object, both going to the same webpage.

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Microsoft's IE browser component, on which TWebBrowser, EmbeddedWB and NeoBook's WebBrowser are based, defaults to IE v7 compatibiliy mode. This can cause some websites to display differently than they do in standalone IE, Chrome, etc. If you want a browser component to run in IE8 or IE9 mode, you must add a registry key for your app to the following registry section:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

Unfortunately, this is the only way to make an IE-based browser component run in anything other than IE7 mode.

Below is an article from Microsoft describing this issue:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330730(v=vs.85).aspx#browser_emulation

A soon to be released NeoBook maintenance update will include an option to automatically set a registry key to run the browser in whatever version of IE is installed on the target PC. This should solve most problems associated with newer HTML/CSS content.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby CN_Iceman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am

Neosoft Support wrote:A soon to be released NeoBook maintenance update will include an option to automatically set a registry key to run the browser in whatever version of IE is installed on the target PC. This should solve most problems associated with newer HTML/CSS content.

It's good to know that. Thank's.

Greetings.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Postby Wrangler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 am

Looking forward to the update.

I'm a little confused about the Microsoft web page. If you are running IE9, what 'exe' would you enter in the registry? iexplore.exe? Their example uses contoso.exe. Have no idea what that is.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 am

I'm a little confused about the Microsoft web page. If you are running IE9, what 'exe' would you enter in the registry? iexplore.exe? Their example uses contoso.exe. Have no idea what that is.

You need to enter the name of your program's exe without the path. For example:

MySuperDuperNeoBookApp.exe = (DWORD) 00009999
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. My problem was the browser object not displaying pages with jquery properly. But this fix didn't help. Standalone IE9 displays the buttons properly, which the browser object doesn't, but the page transitions don't work. Everything works as planned in Firefox or Chrome. IE is just a piece of crap.........
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Next

Return to General NeoBook Discussions