Source language: Translate to:

Install Pub

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

How often you need to buld an installation program for you work...???

Every time
13%
All most never
13%
Some times
67%
Is not necessary
7%

Total votes : 15

Install Pub

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi...

I am thinking to buld a installer pub so everybody used to make an install program.
Is anybody indresting...???

Thanks

Postby Gaev » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:21 pm

jokerxxx:

It would be nice ... and can be made with NeoBook ... except perhaps the part about "binding the application and data to the install.exe ... which might require help from a plug-in ...

But the main stumbling block (IMHO) is that a minimum size of a NeoBook application exe is 500 KB ... much too big an overhead in most cases ... compare with 32 Kb to 96 KB for other offerings made with other languages.

I would hope that NeoBook v 5.2 or so would provide a more comprehensive facility like some of the current popular shareware offerings ... i.e. improve on the simple package/baggage thing.
Gaev

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:11 pm

Hi gk51,

please take a look on Inno Setup, before you put too much efford into your Installer Pub.

This one is for free, and has IMHO everything needed to make professional looking and working Installer.

Postby Gaev » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:38 pm

Schneppi:

please take a look on Inno Setup ...
Yes I agree ... and there are others too ...

Perhaps I was not very clear in my last post ... given the size constraints, my preference would be for similar functionality built into the NeoBook Compile/Publish>>>Setup process ... an all encompassing solution so you don't have to go elsewhere ... so you can really follow your motto ... Hey, it compiles! Ship it!!! ... just kidding !!!

Failing that, Inno and others are prefered due to their smaller overhead (KB).
Gaev

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:26 pm

I am having a hard time understanding why a built-in install package is really necessary for NeoBook.  There are so many free or very low cost stand-alones and most of them give much more flexibility than anything that could be included with Neobok.  I use a couple which are very nice.

Frankly, I think NeoSoft needs to spend its time on new programming product and continue their superb level of support rather than mess around reinventing the install wheel.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:33 am

Hi...

djold1
I am having a hard time understanding why a built-in install package is really necessary for NeoBook.

Well first of all i can do it for educational purposes, maybe is not so practical to use it instead of the proffesional apllications that exist in the market, (personaly i use Setup Factory for creating install files) but it will show one more time the capabilities of NB.
Any way, i am not asking help from anyone who dosen't want or like the idea.

Thanks

Postby Gaev » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:38 am

jokerxxx:

I think that being able to create a distribution package from within the IDE ... as a single step (menu item under Book) after the Compile ... would be very welcome ... especially for the less-technical people who are attracted to NeoBook in the first place ...

My only concern was that if the installation program added 500 KB to 1 MB to the package, a lot of "potential users of the developed application" might be discouraged from downloading it (in places where high-speed internet is not available) ... so if you can develop a solution that does not add so many Bytes to the distributable exe (with the application exe and other files embedded inside it), it would be welcomed by a lot of people ...

Perhaps you could share your thoughts on what features such an installer would support ? including ...

-- would the application.exe be binded (wrapped inside) the distributed install_pgm.exe ?
-- also other needed files ?

-- ask user for UserName (and other values) ?
-- prompt for destination installation folder ?
-- extract embedded files ?
-- setup registry values ?
-- automatic creation of uninstall steps ?
-- support multiple (human) languages ?

... etc. etc.
Gaev

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:35 am

Hi...

gk51

would the application.exe be binded (wrapped inside) the distributed install_pgm.exe ?
-- also other needed files ?

-- ask user for UserName (and other values) ?
-- prompt for destination installation folder ?
-- extract embedded files ?
-- setup registry values ?
-- automatic creation of uninstall steps ?
-- support multiple (human) languages ?

So far i am thinking to put all those futures in to installer pub, also thinking to create two separate programs, (one design writer and one run time reader). For sure i need to use at least 2 of plugins. Is going to take some time (one month or more) to finish.

For sure i going to wait for the updated ver of NB so be able to use all the new futures.

Thanks for your concern.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:30 pm

Hi...

The installer pub is all most ready thanks to Alberto and Hans.
The program has to separate pub that working toghether.
1) Designer Pub: You put all parametrs.
2) Reader Pub: You compile it after you finish with the Designer and the setup
exe is ready.

I am having small problem to buld unstaller because of the size of exe 500kb.

If anybody has any idea to build small header exe file compartible to NB are welcome.

In few days will be uploded for every body...

Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:22 am

Hi...

Free Installer pub is ready...

The program are in two separate zip files, Download it both and extract them
to one directory of your choice.

1) Run Designer.exe (Follow the instructions)
2) Open Reader.pub from NB
3) Compile reader.pub and you setup is ready.

A very big thanks to Alberto and Hans-Peter

Any comments or questions are welcome...

Download:
Please visit my www page at.
http://www.smartmedia.netfirms.com/PubSamples.htm

Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:39 am

hi jokerx,
installer seems to be ok, designer.zip doesn't unzip, says always it finds incorrectly zipped file.

ALF

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:03 am

Hi...

ALF

Please try again, i reupload it.

Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22 am

Reader-pub complains about missing:

C:\Program Files\NeoBook 4\Pub\Installer\j0189226.gif

No j0189226.gif there.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:41 pm

hi jokerxxx,
ok, after new upload it worked for me. try to have a look at it in the hours which follow...

ALF

Return to General NeoBook Discussions